12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box

/ 12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box #1  

penokee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO-20 (sold to son-in-law), AC - H3 Crawler, L3130HST, (AC-WD w/Attachments - SOLD), 1984 Honda Big Red, Honda Foreman 4x4 w/plow
Not sure if this is right forum, but will try it. Looking for advice/recommendations on purchasing a 24 volt Battery Booster Box. Have a 12 volt that I use effectively, but in the process of acquiring a US Military vehicle with a 24 volt electrical sytem and want something to jump start it if neccesary. All comments appreciated.
penokee

/ 12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box #2  
What kind of Army Truck? I am retired US Army, when I did not have slave cables I have used regular jumper cables and two 12v batterys.

/ 12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box #3  
What kind of Army Truck? I am retired US Army, when I did not have slave cables I have used regular jumper cables and two 12v batterys.

+1 - My TLB has two batteries that provide both 12 and 24 volts. You'd want both batteries to be similar in specs and the same age I would think for best results.

/ 12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box #4  
Penokee
A few years ago I bought a M35a2 w/24 volt system .The stock GOV. batteries (2) in this truck are 200min reserve 750 cca @32f* & if i remember right...300cca@ -40 f* each.. part # 6TMF and can be bought for around $190 each .. I just had to replace mine .... the old batteries lasted (date code 04-02) 7-9 years+/- . I was able to "jump" start by using (3) 1000cca deep cycles I borrowed from another vehicle or two and connected them together of make 24volts& "kicked right over"
In regards to chargeing when not in use ... I 'm using solar panels at times ... knife switched in the existing battery box.
What Mil veh.are you getting ?
AK9

/ 12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box #5  
at the price most booster boxes go for.. and their unspectacular performancy on anything bigger than a small auto, I long ago found it was better and cheaper to buy a cheap harbor freight hand cart and a decent 10' set of jumper cables, and a good battery.

bunji the battery to the cart, cut one end of the cables off or uncrimp for reuse, and hook tcem up to the make-yer-own repair end battery cables.

ziptie or screw on a small square piece of plywood or rubber floor matting to clip the cables too ( insulation ).. and there you have a jumper that is more cca / longer than a junky 99$ boost box with a battery the size of your fist inside it.

if you need 24v, just double up the batteries top to bottom using a piece of 2x4 to seperate them and a jumper wire post to oposite post on the bats, and sprad your jump cables top to bottom.. ie series.

usually you can do this setup for on a 12v system using a common grp31 bat and cheapy hand cart and jump cable / ends plus the bunji for about 125$.. just a lil more than the average jumper box that won't start a good size vehicle / tractor.. and certaintly not a farm sized diesel over lawnmower size.... or a big truck.

add a 12v trouble lamp and a cig lighter adapter for about another 15$ and you have light to work with and power for accessories like an air pump.

for another 15$ you could add on a 1.5a float charger to the rig, and just roll back intot he barn and plug in for next use.. or string yer own bat charger over to it... heck.. scab on one of them cheap 9$ air pumps too and have it all. air, lights and power in one spot..

mine is setup that way.. cost me just shy of 150$.. was cheaper than the craftsman power center/booster my mom got for my stepfater.. which wouldn't boost/start his duramax diesel when the battery got weak. i had the cig lighter adapter already, and used a left over wall wart for some cell phone charger.. .5a but is fine to recharge the setup. used a 9$ harbor freight air compressor, and walmart 5yr battery.. almost biggest one they had...

guess you could toss a walkman on there and have tunes too. :) extra cost!

soundguy

/ 12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box #6  
I've got two booster boxes (gifts) sitting in the basement. Use them for lights during power outages. I've got two spare batteries sitting in the garage for boosting chores....

/ 12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box
Thanks for the info Guys. The vehicle is a 1993 AM General M35A3 2-1/2 ton, Cat Diesel engine with Allison Transmission. It's at Ft. McCoy and pictures show it to be in fairly good condition. Drove the 5 tons in Korea in 1955 and 2-1/2 ton in Japan and Ft. Belvoir in 56 & 57. This Old Soldier is now getting his own Troop Carrier:) My kids (3) and grandkids (5) asked what I'm going to do with it? I told them grandpa is going to look at it think back on how it was:) We play with little cars when we are young boys, why can't we play with big cars when we're 75 +?:) My son (48) is going along with dad. Will post a few pics later.
penokee
ps: Had spine surgery 2 years ago and have to sell my AC H3 Dozer, use the money to pay for this Troop Carrier. Have had a Good Trip working/playing with equipment all my life and don't plan to quit yet.

/ 12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box #8  
Take a look at Truck Pac on Northern Tool. They have a 12-24 volt booster pack.

I have the es6000 and the es5000 and like them.

/ 12 Volt/24 Volt Battery Booster Box #9  
penokee
the A3's are a very strong cool truck . The 2.5 ton trucks air over hyd brakes and under 16,000 GVW you don't need a comercial drivers lic. to drive on road . I Bought my a2 site unseen ... a little scary , from gov liq. DMO chambersburg and had it shipped to me . I was told that people do drive them off the lot... But ,I could not figure out insurance issues ..the way the title is processed, so I had mine shipped to me.
The A3's w/ on the fly auto inflate tires (cistus) sp?. and being auto. trans,Cat eng...
OH oh .:thumbsup:I guess you can tell I love big boy toys tooo. SO PLEASE post some more when you can ;)
ak9