starter problems

/ starter problems #1  

deere755

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case 2090 Massey Ferguson 4233 John Deere 4700
My Dad owns a Craftsman riding lawn more with a kohler 15 hp motor. I replaced the battery, the starter, and the selinoid and it still will not roll over. It gets to a point like there is dead spot in the starter and stops. I am not sure what else to try. Any ideas?

/ starter problems #2  
have you tried to manually roll the engine over, or over with the plug out yet?

soundguy

/ starter problems
No I havent tried that yet. It did this same thing last week when he tried to start it, I would roll it up on compression and stop. He kept bumping it and it finally started and started fine the rest of the day. If I get time this evening I will take out the plug and give it a try.

/ starter problems #4  
let us know whgat you find out.

soundguy

/ starter problems
UPDATE: I went out and rolled the motor over by hand past compression, hit the starter and it whirled it over like brand new and started. That is good but I don't understand what the problem is. At least we can get it to start so he can use it but I still need to fix it right. Any advice would be appreciated.

/ starter problems #6  
i'm hearing starter issues...

soundguy

/ starter problems #7  
Or poor connection, maybe in the ground cable from the motor to the chassis....or chassis to battery.

/ starter problems #8  
That is a usual Kohler compression lock. Why some do it I do not know, but I had a John Deere STX46 that had a 14hp engine that would do the same thing. I have also heard of other kohler engines doing the same thing. :confused2:

/ starter problems #9  
is this the over head valve engine if it is the valves need to be adjusted this is common problem with o.h.v. lawnmower motors about every 2 years the valves need to be adjusted as they will get tighter from running. i have one that has the 18 hp motor starter it last year did the same you did all the obvious suspects nothing changed called friend of mine at mower repair shop and he explained to turn motor manually past compression stroke it should crank and it did mine was used did not have manual with it not sure if it tells to do this or not but after my episode call some of my customers around the u.s. only to find out it is the most common no crank with briggs in the business. good luck

/ starter problems #10  
is this the over head valve engine if it is the valves need to be adjusted this is common problem with o.h.v. lawnmower motors about every 2 years the valves need to be adjusted as they will get tighter from running. i have one that has the 18 hp motor starter it last year did the same you did all the obvious suspects nothing changed called friend of mine at mower repair shop and he explained to turn motor manually past compression stroke it should crank and it did mine was used did not have manual with it not sure if it tells to do this or not but after my episode call some of my customers around the u.s. only to find out it is the most common no crank with briggs in the business. good luck

True fact. A friend of mine had the same issue with a Craftsman 24HP. I refused to believe the valve adjustment theory - it was just too crazy, but sure enough, that turned out to be the problem. Go figure.

JayC