Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled

/ Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled #1  

wdn

Silver Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota BX2200
I have a <font color="orange"> BX2200 </font> and would like to attach a bucket hook to the top center of the FEL bucket. Does anyone know who might sell a bolt-on unit already welded onto a metal plate for easy installation /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif ? I'v seen people weld them right on but I have no welding skills and no welder /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, everyone else seems to fabricate their own but I need store bought. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've seen some tow hooks advertised in the Northern Tool catalog Item# 14160 is something like this suitable /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif ?

Tow hook from Northern tools

I'll take care of the drilling through the bucket, bolting it on and painting it <font color="orange"> orange </font> /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled #2  
You might want to try how I did it before I could weld. Just used some 3 inch angle iron and cut some slits in it wide enough for the chain to slip into. Used three slits so I had an attachment point at either end and the center. Has the added benefit of bracing the top lip of the bucket to distribute the force. (I have a pic but it's 317 KB, apparently too big to attach but if you search some old threads you may find it since I was able to attach it in the past /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

/ Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled #3  
Here is your picture of angle iron chain hook., located in FEL Hooks. Just make sure your bucket is curled while lifting. I don't know if I would use the U-bolt method that was proposed in the beginning of the thread, but there are some suggestions that may be helpful. The slotted angle iron technique could work as a bolt-on instead of welded.

/ Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled #4  
I posted in the other thread as well........

I'm sure a trailer or body shop could do it for you. Then again its' easier for them to just weld it on your bucket. Probably woudn't be much for the welding and metal.

I just had the ramps for my car trailer reinforced. They welded on angle iron 6' long, eight peices total for $40. This included straightening my ramps. Those suckers are back breakers now!

/ Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled #5  
wdn,

I also live in Hillsboro county. I don't own a welder or means of getting my tractor to the local welding shop.

I bought some weld-on style grab hooks from AW Direct:

http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/finditem.cfm?itemid=7299

They must have a local warehouse because I received the hooks in one day! The only downside is $5 minimum shipping charge, total was $12. I prefer this style hook to the one you found in Northern Tool because it will "grab" a chain anywhere along its length without slipping.

BJ's Welding in Milford cut four 5" long pieces out of 3" wide x 1/4" thick flat steel. They welded the hooks to two of the plates, charged $30. Since I had this done only six days ago, I'm sure they have plenty of material left.

I took the parts home and drilled all the holes, cleaned and painted everything, and bolted them on. The backing plates are underneath. I used bolts with "yellow" plating to match the rest of the hardware on the tractor. They look like they came from the factory. A picture is attached.

Since the top of your BX bucket is somewhat different than my 2210 (rolled up front lip and centrally mounted cylinder), your mounting plate might be different.

I have used Lloyd's Trailer in Milford for welding also, but they didn't have any 3" wide material in stock.

Finally, if you don't already know, BB Chain in Milford (located downstairs at Chappell Tractor) is a great local source for chain and all kinds of lifting attachments. They even custom made tire chains to fit my tractor wheels.

Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• 236166-DSC00008.jpg
    236166-DSC00008.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 432
   / Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled #6  
CBH30,

They look really nice. I wished I could do that on my rig. My bucket is of a little bit different style so I really don't know how I am going to get a hook on mine. I was thinking I may have to have something welded right to a plate and have the plate welded to the bucket with a support underneath.

Murph

/ Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled #7  
Why not take the bucket off and load that into the car/van, and have them weld the hook on for you, I think in the end you will have a better job.

/ Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled
Thanks, I will check them out.

I'd prefer to get it welded onto the but I'm sure bolted on is strong enough.

/ Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled
I may take off the bucket as you suggest. It looks simple enough just too cold to do it now it's 4 degrees out. I may just wait until spring it's going to snow tomorrow and I can't miss having the FEL. I guess the whole thing could wait until spring, I want to get a generator while they are ends of season sale, I plan to lift it with a strap & ring. So I was thinking of just 1 hook mounted on the middle of the bucket.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

/ Bucket hook mounted on a plate & predrilled #10  
<font color="blue">would like to attach a bucket hook to the top center of the FEL bucket.</font>

Either welded or bolted would probably work well. cbh30 did a great looking job with bolting his hooks. The "hook" on my loader is an old junkyard nut. It's welded, top center. The first time I used it, the top began to buckle. Since I reinforced the area with some flat bar, it's holding up much better. I like having the "hook" in the middle of the bucket, but the bucket top is more prone to buckle with the hook at that location. So, a little extra reinforcement is worth considering.

Someone (in another thread) mentioned welding a length of round stock at the front lip of the bucket top. That would also help strenghen things. I have a piece cut to size and ready to weld, but will wait for a little warmer weather.

Pictured is the reinforcement I added. I am satisfied with the improvement. I plan to add the round stock as a little insurance.

OkieG

Attachments

• 236499-MVC-020F.JPG
    236499-MVC-020F.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 335