John Deere 1600 wide area mower help!

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help! #1  

subergoo

hey all, Ive got a J.D. 1600 turbo WAM that I use to mow most of the rough at my golf course. This machine is run for about 6 hours a day 5 days a week and is now pushing 2500 hours. up until yesterday its had only a few simple problems, but now outta nowhere the the blades will not turn on. I have checked everything I can think of: bypassed all safety interlocks, checked the pto switch, checked all solenoids and valves. Its got an onboard computer/controller with input and output lights and as far as i can tell the computer thinks the blades are on???

anyway I know its a long shot but any help would be nice cause I really dont wanna pay the stealership to fix this thing

Thanks

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help! #2  
I don't think I can be much help because I have only owned mine a few months, but since there are probably not too many JD1600 WAM owners I'll post this...

I cut fields and had to rig the safety seat PTO switch because it kept shutting the blades down on just about each bump. After that, the bumps were not an issues. However, the blades shut down again? I determined this was caused because i was inadvertently pushing on the fwd and reverse peddles at the same time - maybe it has something to do with the transmission.:confused:

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help!
hey this might help you 9973720wb19,
the seat has adjustable weight settings be sure you use the right one that should fix the shut down problem with the seat, and the wings have a position interlock system so when they swing or bounce like crazy the blades will shut down just like they would if you were to raise them with the blades still on, those sensors can be bypassed aswell ....... but maybe you could just run it a little slower.... hehehehe

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help! #4  
Assuming that these wings are run by hydraulic motors, I would check to see that the solenoids for the wing motors are getting power and that they work.

If the "brain" thinks that the wings are on, your interlocks are not the problem. It is an issue with the flow of fluid to/from the wing motors (and I would look to the solenoids for the wing motors first).

Aaron Z

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help! #5  
hey im sure its probably fixed by now but theres an actuator cylinder to engage blades thats most likley 99% sure your problem its located under seat left side sitting on machine they break at the ball joint or seperate let me know if you need any more help

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help!
WOW! Thanks bighorn!! You are dead on that's what was wrong and yes it was repaired quite a while ago . But good call you were right just wish you had been around a long time ago hahaha.
Just outta curiosity , how the heck did you know that ? Are you a JD tech ?

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help! #7  
Bighorn I have the issue listed above i cant find this actuator cylinder you are refering too. I have looked on the machine and under john deere parts to try to find a listing so i know what im looking for. Can i ask you to help me with this, if you have a picture illistration that would be great. thanks James

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help! #8  
[we are having the same issue with the decks not engaging, we replaced the solenoids and it worked wonderful for a few days and now its doing the same thing again. It seems to act up after it has been running for a while. Could it be the hydraulic oil that is the cause? Is there a temp gauge for the hydraulic fluid? any help appreciated!!

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help! #9  
I have a 1600 also that is giving us grief with the hydraulic decks. It won't spin all 3 decks-- it started that if you raised one deck the other 2 would have good flow and would cut. Now it seems that all 3 decks are not turning but looks like they are getting pressure when the switch is flipped. Are there solenoids on the return side also? or does the solenoid control the spool valve for both supply and return to each individual deck? I put a rebuild kit in the one deck motor last year thinking that it was bypassing -- it looked great on the inside and didn't seem to need anything.
Any ideas?

Thanks

/ John Deere 1600 wide area mower help! #10  
Hey there having a similar problem with decks. Pressure tested pump turns out deck motor is turning slow. The dealer couldn't figure out what is wrong. Rebuilt motor and still the same problem. Tested spindle speed it was low with 3 decks running but right with 2 running. Adjusted spindle speed decks running better, but not as well as our newer unit. If have any other ideas looking to try something. Wish the dealer had something to offer