TEF Ferguson starting problems

/ TEF Ferguson starting problems #1  

grangenumber4

Tractor
mf 135
We have been restoring a TEF Ferguson 4 cylinder tractor at home in our spare time which has took around 2 years an recently we finished the paint work but the tractor hasnt been started since the day we started to restore the tractor. but to save alot of time sorting out the wiring loom we decided to pull start the tractor which was not a success. no matter what gear or how fast wee towed the tractor the wheels locked up and the crack shaft never moved at all. i believe that the engine has seized up during the restoration but im not sure has any one got any ideas on what to do?

/ TEF Ferguson starting problems #2  
G'day diesel or petrol?? Pull the spark plugs/injectors and fill the cyl's with diesel and leave for a few days then pull the starter motor out and try to turn the eng over with a pry bar on the teeth of the flywheel if this does not work then top up cyl's and leave for a bit longer,if it does free up then replace the starter motor and if you have a crank handle then turn the engine over slowly by hand to get the liquid out of the cyls then you might want to spin over on the starter to get the last bit out, replace the inj's/plugs and change the oil ( will have alot of diesel in it) and start it up

Jon

/ TEF Ferguson starting problems
thanks for the reply. the tractor is a diesel, i have put a full can of WD40 through the cylinders and it has came through as i made sure to drain all the oil from the sump and a dish to catch whatever came through and still no movement.
I have tried rocking the tractor back and forth in gear an no a movement either. i have tried taken off the starter incase it was jamming it an loosing the injector pump as it was the only other part taken off during the restoration and still nothing.
Am I gona have to bite the bullet and open the engine up.
I also noticed that when i drained the oil from the sump and stuck my hand in to clean it out the split pins that where on the castle nuts of the big end bearing coupler had be sheared off, is this normal or should i be worried

/ TEF Ferguson starting problems #4  
G'day the split pins on the big end bolt should not have shorn off i think you may have to drop the sump and check your tensions :confused:. In your restoration did you rebuild the engine?? The fact that the wheels turn and lock up when you release the clutch tells me the trans is not siezed so i am suspecting engine, drop the sump and loosen all the big ends one by one and try to turn eng over each time this will narrow down which cyl it is

Jon

/ TEF Ferguson starting problems
i just had to bite the bullet and take the head off the tractor and as soon as i did the engine unstuck it self. there was no sign of damage to liners etc and the liners were well oiled i duno why the engine had seized. when we had the head off we decided to reseat all the valves and clean the whole head of coke. only problem now is we can find the valve -rocker clearance settings any were, any ideas on what they may be.

/ TEF Ferguson starting problems #6  
G'day .012" on inlet and exhaust cold

Jon

Last edited: