Left Wheel Problems

/ Left Wheel Problems #1  

lakngulf

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30
I've got to do some major repair for my 4 year old grandson. The left wheel on his Gator will not turn. I switched the wired from right to left. The right kept working but the left will not. Anybody tried this type of repair before?

IMG_0130.jpg

/ Left Wheel Problems #2  
Well, no I have never worked on one, but we need to know a few things, is it the DC motor that does not turn? or is it the gear train that is broken? I would start with a voltage measurement to the terminals on the motor, and if the voltage is there, and the motor does not run, then remove it and check for continuety in the stator, often where the terminals and the stator wires are soldered on break. You just have to check it out. But cannot offer much more without knowing what doesnt work, to start looking for mechanical or eletrical.

James K0UA

/ Left Wheel Problems
Well, no I have never worked on one, but we need to know a few things, is it the DC motor that does not turn? or is it the gear train that is broken? I would start with a voltage measurement to the terminals on the motor, and if the voltage is there, and the motor does not run, then remove it and check for continuety in the stator, often where the terminals and the stator wires are soldered on break. You just have to check it out. But cannot offer much more without knowing what doesnt work, to start looking for mechanical or eletrical.

James K0UA

No matter which set of wires I have attached to either side the right wheel turns, SO, I am guessing the problem is in the silver motor that the wires attach to. I will check power coming to each set of wires, but I am assuming they are good since either set of wires will run the right wheel.

/ Left Wheel Problems #4  
Ok now it is time to disassemble the motor from the gear train, to make sure it is not bound up by a broken/jammed geartrain, apply power and make sure the motor does not turn when freed from the geartrain, and if it does not then examine the connections from the stator to the push on terminals for a broken solder joint. Now we are down to repairing the motor itself, and will need to be carefully dis-assembled to check out a possible commutator/brush problem or if broken wireing on the armature, or what the problem is. Of course a replacement motor may be the answer, of course if the motor turns when voltage is applied to it once it is free of the geartrain, then you must dig into the geartrain to establish what the problem is. Probably not telling you anything you dont already know, but if you break a problem (any problem) into sections and then start troublshooting that section, we make the problem easier to find. At this time I still dont know if the problem is the motor or the geartrain, you have convinced me the controller and wiring to the push on terminals are not the problem

James K0UA

James K0UA

/ Left Wheel Problems
Probably not telling you anything you dont already know, but if you break a problem (any problem) into sections and then start troublshooting that section, we make the problem easier to find. At this time I still dont know if the problem is the motor or the geartrain James K0UA

I got the geartrain and motor out and examined. The gears turn fine but the motor it stuck, no way I could get it to turn. I have two motors on order. Might as well replace both while I am at it.

Thanks for the help. More to come, I hope.

/ Left Wheel Problems #6  
Good deal, of course keep the good motor for a spare, and if it was me, I would tear into the bad motor also to determine what caused the problem if I could, that information might help to predict how long the new motors are going to last. Of course if you dont have the time, then just put it in the "round file" Good luck in getting the little 4 wheeler back on the road...

James K0UA

/ Left Wheel Problems
I know a 4 year old who's gonna be happy. I received the new motors, attached one to the gear box, put it back on with the wheel and axle, plugged the wires, pushed the pedal and TWO wheels turned.

Now I will go ahead and install a new motor on the right side, put the parts all back together (hope I do not have any left over), and take it home.

Lil Jack's mommy had told him that the gator was probably finished. He told her "No, we need poppa to take a look at it". I am tickled that it has new life.

/ Left Wheel Problems #8  
I am glad you got it going..

James K0UA

/ Left Wheel Problems #10  
i always felt the problem of left wheel problem in my tractor i don't know how to fix it