8N clutch I replaced it and it won't work

/ 8N clutch I replaced it and it won't work #1  

ilikepat

Tractor
Ford 8n
Background:
1952 8N I bought it and the clutch was like a toggle switch 1/2 inch from down to full clutch engagement. The adjustment clevis was at it's limit.
I thought it needed a new clutch so I ordered a set and using info from this forum I did the replacement. Seemed fairly simple. The existing clutch looked OK except for being covered with grease. So I also replaced the input shaft seal.
Looking through the opening of the steering box area I can see that the throwout bearing is not even near making contact with the clutch pressure plate fingers. What could possibly account for this? The manuals don't show any spacers that could have been left out (I didn't end up with any extra parts) I am stumped.

tks

/ 8N clutch I replaced it and it won't work #2  
Did you remove the retaining bolts from the pressure plate ???

/ 8N clutch I replaced it and it won't work
What retaining bolts would that be? He said confusedly.
What do they look like. Has anyone ever forgotten them before (I don't want to be alone in this)

/ 8N clutch I replaced it and it won't work
I got the clutch to work by adjusting the eyebolt all the way down. This is not right! What if this tractor had a Sherman transmission at one time? Would this involve installing a shorter bearing retainer/throwout bearing mount? It just seems like this hollow bearing retainer is too short!

Has anyone run into this symptom?

tks