Kohler Engine Trouble

/ Kohler Engine Trouble #1  

Mike Pa

Tractor
Exmark Lazer Z
Good morning!

Was looking for some advice on a Kohler 27 HP Commercial engine.

Symptoms:
-Using 1/2 Qt of oil in two hours and fouling the plug on the #1 cylinder.

Repairs:

-Pulled the head and found a burnt and broken exhaust valve. Replaced the exhaust valve, head gasket and all the breather components.

The engine is still fouling the plug a bit and there is still excessive crankcase pressure?

Thanks!

/ Kohler Engine Trouble #2  
Possibly broken or Stuck rings.

/ Kohler Engine Trouble #3  
How did the piston and cylinder look? Also, check valve guide and seal.

Jim

/ Kohler Engine Trouble #4  
Possibly broken or Stuck rings.

X2 try doing a leakdown test if you have the equip if not most of the dealers have them and should not charge too much to do it for you

Jon

/ Kohler Engine Trouble #5  
In the other thread, you said something about not having much play in the valve guide. I think that you shouldn't have any play. With lubricant applied to the valve stem, I would expect no lateral movement.

Jim

/ Kohler Engine Trouble
Thank you all for your responses. A few notes on your comments:

-The play in the guide was barely noticeable, just a very minor amount with no visble damage to the guide

-My dealer did a leak down test and said all ranges were normal so they chaged all the breather components.

-The piston head was loaded with carbon that we removed, but otherwise in good shape

/ Kohler Engine Trouble #7  
Thank you all for your responses. A few notes on your comments:

-The play in the guide was barely noticeable, just a very minor amount with no visble damage to the guide

-My dealer did a leak down test and said all ranges were normal so they chaged all the breather components.

-The piston head was loaded with carbon that we removed, but otherwise in good shape

If the head was full of carbon, the rings may be that way too.

Quick question: which head is #1 and which is #2?

/ Kohler Engine Trouble #8  
If the head was full of carbon, the rings may be that way too.

Quick question: which head is #1 and which is #2?

That's exactly what I was thinking regarding the carbon. A good dose of Sea Foam or two should be just what the doctor ordered for cleaning up that carbon.:thumbsup:

Jim