john deere 4200

/ john deere 4200 #1  

kcaver

Tractor
john deere 4200/L130
I was mowing today and the tractor just totally shut down while mowing. checked the fuses and the battery in only about a year old. I don't know what else to do?

suzanne

/ john deere 4200 #2  
that's scary...i would not know either. could the fuel gage be broken:confused:

/ john deere 4200
could a battery just die while the tractor is operating

/ john deere 4200 #4  
Yes, a battery can fail while engine is running, but there are a lot of more likely causes for the engine to die.
There are a lot of members on this sight that have more knowledge than me, but:
Can you tell us: Will the starter turn the engine now (attempt to start)? Will the lights burn? If not: a battery cable could have come loose or been damaged (or the battery could have failed). If you still have lights or if the starter turns the engine then something else is wrong and we will need to suggest other options.

/ john deere 4200 #5  
I was mowing today and the tractor just totally shut down while mowing. checked the fuses and the battery in only about a year old. I don't know what else to do?

suzanne

Probably the thermistor...not an uncommon problem with the old 4x00 series Deeres.

Attachments

• Therm1.jpg
    Therm1.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 740
  • Therm2.jpg
    Therm2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,393
   / john deere 4200
I dont know what I did, but jiggled the positive cable and few other cables different places, got on the tractor and it started. Don't have a clue, but the positive cable was loose.

/ john deere 4200 #8  
Good to see you up and running. Time to tighten cables and apply some dielectric grease.:)

/ john deere 4200 #9  
I dont know what I did, but jiggled the positive cable and few other cables different places, got on the tractor and it started. Don't have a clue, but the positive cable was loose.

Good for you!!!

BTW, that's how most of us fix our tractors....we don't have a clue either...

/ john deere 4200
Thanks everyone for your help, this is a great site!