Crankcase cover gasket replacement, B&S 18HP twin

/ Crankcase cover gasket replacement, B&S 18HP twin #1  

tregnabm

Tractor
Craftsman GT6000
I am attempting to replace the crankcase cover gasket on my Briggs and Stratton l-head engine. Model number is 422707, type 1243-01. I have the engine out in my garage and am having a devil of a time separating the engine and crankcase cover. I can slip an .030" feeler gauge between the two in the front, exhaust side, but the rear is mad stuck. It's been soaking in liquid wrench all night. There's no rust, but I thought maybe that would help.

Does anyone have a repair manual for this motor? I'm curious if the pulley has to be removed - I don't believe it does. If the pulley was off, I don't see how it would help matters anyway. I'm avoiding metal hammers and prybars for obvious reasons.

/ Crankcase cover gasket replacement, B&S 18HP twin #2  
I am attempting to replace the crankcase cover gasket on my Briggs and Stratton l-head engine. Model number is 422707, type 1243-01. I have the engine out in my garage and am having a devil of a time separating the engine and crankcase cover. I can slip an .030" feeler gauge between the two in the front, exhaust side, but the rear is mad stuck. It's been soaking in liquid wrench all night. There's no rust, but I thought maybe that would help.

Does anyone have a repair manual for this motor? I'm curious if the pulley has to be removed - I don't believe it does. If the pulley was off, I don't see how it would help matters anyway. I'm avoiding metal hammers and prybars for obvious reasons.
I don't think that I've ever seen one that didn't require the pulley to be removed. As far as removing the sump, use a small brass hammer or hammer and piece of wood to gently tap on it until it loosens. Be very careful when prying on cast aluminum/ alloys. Also, be aware that the sump is keyed and cannot be rotated until you have a half inch of separation. It helps to sand/ clean the crankshaft prior to trying to remove the sump.

Jim

/ Crankcase cover gasket replacement, B&S 18HP twin
Thanks. I didn't know the crankshaft went all the way through the sump. I took the pulley off and worked the case a bit longer and got them separated. Too bad I didn't order an oil seal for the crank ahead of time, now I'll have to wait a couple days to put it back together.