cub cadet HDS 2165 pops and blows black smoke

/ cub cadet HDS 2165 pops and blows black smoke #1  

way2crazy4u

Tractor
cub cadet HDS 2165
hello all and thanks for taking the time to read this. i bought this cub brand new i think in 98 it has 295 hours on it thats all. this past weekend i was mowing and after i was done i shut it off and it made a loud pop noise coming from the exhust which it never did that before. i started it back up and it was missing extremly bad and black smoke was puffing out (which this never happened before) it acted like the choke was stuck i tought. i pulled the air cleaner off and looked down there and the choke was working just fine. then i started the tractor up and throttled it up and it was poping like crazy out of the carb and still blowing black smoke. has anyone seen this or could give me some advice into checking this out??? thanks for your time and have a great day if you like you could responed to billsautosolutions@um.att.com

/ cub cadet HDS 2165 pops and blows black smoke
i hope someone can help me out or get me going in the right dir:)

/ cub cadet HDS 2165 pops and blows black smoke #3  
You have probably broken a pushrod. It causes extreme reversion through the carb and smokes just like you describe.

Pull the valve covers off and have a look. If you're lucky the broken shaft hasn't migrated into the crankcase, which involves splitting the motor.

If you find broken parts, you should change the entire head in question. It comes as a kit from briggs. What happens is the valves stick in their guides and snap the pushrod. Just changing the pushrod will lead to another broken one.

Thanks tim i will do that tonight and re-post of what i find.

well i dont understand this at all i pulled the covers off cranked the motor over and the push rods looked fine. so i re-installed them cranked it over and it fired right up with no black smoke or popping.:confused: so i installed the air cleaner and as i was tighting it up the tractor started the black smoke and popping the air clener is brand new so i dont understand that at all... if i keep the air cleaner off the cub runs like it used to (great) but the minute i install the air cleaner it runs like crap.

/ cub cadet HDS 2165 pops and blows black smoke #6  
did you see any motor oil in the air cleaner housing?