Tractor shutting off - need help

/ Tractor shutting off - need help #1  

Qapla

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH
This just started today.

We have a FarmTrac DTC 360 made by LS. It has a Mitsubishi diesel engine.

It has run great with no problems until today. While using the front loader for some clearing work (something we have done quite a bit), the tractor started just shutting off.

It will be running just fine and then it just shuts off, just like someone turned the key off. There seems to be a little "click" coming from under the hood when it shuts off. Not a continuous clicking, just a single click like a relay or switch was thrown.

I can press the clutch and crank it right back up.

It seems to do this once the tractor is fully warmed up and running under a load.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Tractor shutting off - need help #2  
First thing I would check is the safety switch under the seat. May be loose or going bad.

/ Tractor shutting off - need help
There is no safety switch under the seat on this tractor.

/ Tractor shutting off - need help #4  
check the fuel shut off solenoid next.

also see if there is a temp probe for the battery, etc..

soundguy

/ Tractor shutting off - need help #5  
I am not familiar with your tractor but does it have a fuel shot of solenoid? Possibly it is malfunctioning?

Sorry Soundguy, I am a slow typer

/ Tractor shutting off - need help #6  
Fuel shutoff solenoid- on your injector pump, you'll see a device with electrical connection- this would be the solenoid that shuts the fuel off to kill the motor when you turn off the key. (Older tractors you had to manually shut off the fuel by pushing down on the governor arm, or using a decompressor.)
Check the electrical connections to make sure it's not corroded or loose, all the way back to the dash. Make sure you've got a good ground to the case of the solenoid if it's a one-wire type.