Iseki tiller U joint

/ Iseki tiller U joint #1  

DavidD

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1626
I broke a u joint in my tiller shaft, I think the shaft is a bit long because it seemed to bind if I raise the tiller full up while engaged.
Has anyone ever shortened a tiller shaft by cutting/rewelding?
How critical is the balance on these shafts?
I'm also considering converting the yoke to a size I can buy locally since I cant find this size u joint?
Any advice is appreciated

/ Iseki tiller U joint #2  
Most medium and larger size cities have a driveshaft rebuilder. They will have the equipment to cut, reweld, and either bore the yoke to match available u-joints, or change the yoke completely.

I wouldn't think balance would be critical at 540 rpm. But you do need a true shaft with u-joints correctly aligned with the center line, and that requires specialized equipment.

I would think you could get it done professionally for $100.00 or less.

FWIW
Dave

/ Iseki tiller U joint #3  
Now I don't know anything about Iseki, but I assume you're talking about the PTO driveshaft from the tractor to the tiller gear box??? If so, it's quite common to have to shorten the driveshaft, and easily done with a hacksaw (either manual or power); no welding required. My tiller was a Bush Hog brand and the manual even included instructions for measuring and cutting it (and I had to do that). You just pull the two sections apart and cut off an equal amount of each one and slide them back together.

/ Iseki tiller U joint #4  
Do not cut your shaft. The shaft when level is at the shortest it will be. You say that when it is full up it binds. This occurs when you are outside the limits of the u-joint. Either don't pick it up until it starts rattling when engaged or shorten the top link some to take a bit of angle out of the shaft.
To check for length of shaft, set the tiller level so that the shaft is as straight as possible, if you have an inch or so slack, meaning that you can slide the joint on the tractor pto back an inch you are ok. Just remember to check end play, it the top link is too short it might put the driveshaft out of tolerance for end play.

/ Iseki tiller U joint #5  
I'd recommend replacing the shaft with a standard one. The Iseki parts will be expensive. I can probably supply you with a complete shaft for less than what the Iseki parts would cost.

/ Iseki tiller U joint #6  

Complete PTO shafts have gotten to the point in pricing that if more than one piece is broken it is cheaper to purchase a complete replacement shaft.