Engine Seize PLEASE HELP!

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #11  
As Roy and KubotainNH said, check those battery cables, it sounds like the starter is trying to turn over until load is applied, if there is not a good clean metal to metal connection, then the ground is lost and no joy.

Just my 2 sense

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #12  
Before you do somthing you will regret see if the engine will turn over with a breaker bar on the front of the engine. Or put the tractor in high gear and l try rolling the tractor by hand. If it will turn over manually proceed with the electrical system. If it will not turn over pull the injectors and try turning it over and see what cyl the water comes out of. If you have water in the cyl and try pull starting or keep trying with the starter you will bend or break the connecting rod. If the rod brakes it can come out the side of the block.
Bill

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #13  
Before you do somthing you will regret see if the engine will turn over with a breaker bar on the front of the engine. Or put the tractor in high gear and l try rolling the tractor by hand. If it will turn over manually proceed with the electrical system. If it will not turn over pull the injectors and try turning it over and see what cyl the water comes out of. If you have water in the cyl and try pull starting or keep trying with the starter you will bend or break the connecting rod. If the rod brakes it can come out the side of the block.
Bill

I went back and read the original post and he said it started sluggishly(as opposed to run sluggishly). As usual I remembered what I read wrong. I do think it is an electrical issue.

Last edited:
   / Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #14  
I agree with what Bill says here. The sluggish running description will be something than electrical.

Unless the starter isn't getting all the amps it needs...then it's working against the inertia of the rotating mass of the crank, pistons, and rods...which can result in "sluggish".
Can't hurt to see if it'll turn with a breaker bar though...but piperc744 might have to pull the glow plugs or injectors so he isn't working against the engine compression.

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #15  
The OP mentioned multiple clicking, that is typical for an electrical issue. I gathered the sluggishness was when trying to start like the sound of a low battery. Definitely doesn't hurt to try and spin it over first, if it has a decompression lever that would make it easier to try.

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #16  
Okay, I noticed my Farmpro 2425 3 cylinder was starting sluggish lately, and today, when i tried to start it, it just kinda tried to crank a few then stopped and is clicking. i thought maybe battery but not the case. i checked oil and it was at the minimum level... i think i just seized my engine... i bought a quart of oil and poured it in, and now its just above the max line from one quart.... what should i do, i cannot start it and only have tomorrow to fix it... please help.

The problem is absolutely your battery system. You many times can't jump a diesel - there is so much draw from the starter, the drop in the cables will prevent the starter from spinning the engine. I tried to jump my L4200 once and it barely turned over the engine. I left the jumpers on for a half hour to charge up the tractor's battery, then was able to start it up with no problem.

Your battery is dead, the question is why?

Buy a new battery and put it in. Make sure it is fully charged first - most new batteries have to be put on a charger for at least a few hours. Check all of the connections, but they are probably OK. Put a voltmeter on the battery - it should read 12.6-12.7V. Fire up your tractor (it'll start right up) then measure the battery voltage again. It should read 13.5-14.5V. If it does, then your battery simply wore out. If it reads lower, your alternator is shot and it needs to be replaced/repaired.

JayC

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #17  
If it is turning over sluggishly at all, it is, by definition, NOT SIEZED! Can the solenoid be bypassed? It is possible for the contacts internally to become corroded so that even though the solenoid engages, insufficient current gets to the windings to turn things over.

Dave

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #18  
Unless the starter isn't getting all the amps it needs...then it's working against the inertia of the rotating mass of the crank, pistons, and rods...which can result in "sluggish".
Can't hurt to see if it'll turn with a breaker bar though...but piperc744 might have to pull the glow plugs or injectors so he isn't working against the engine compression.

I went back and reread piperc744 s original thread and I think it is electrical. I thought he said it was running sluggishly but he actually said it was starting sluggishly.:ashamed:

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #19  
, when i tried to start it, it just kinda tried to crank

This is the phrase that worries me. If there is water in the cyl and the piston is at the bottom of the stroke the engine will turn untill it cannot compress the water any further. I hope this is not the case but would rather be safe than sorry and it won't cost any thing.
Bill

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #20  
I went back and reread piperc744 s original thread and I think it is electrical. I thought he said it was running sluggishly but he actually said it was starting sluggishly.:ashamed:

I agree, I fell right in with the engine being all locked up. I gotta read these things better, too. :ashamed: :confused2: