Engine Seize PLEASE HELP!

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #1  

piperc744

Tractor
FarmPro 2425
Okay, I noticed my Farmpro 2425 3 cylinder was starting sluggish lately, and today, when i tried to start it, it just kinda tried to crank a few then stopped and is clicking. i thought maybe battery but not the case. i checked oil and it was at the minimum level... i think i just seized my engine... i bought a quart of oil and poured it in, and now its just above the max line from one quart.... what should i do, i cannot start it and only have tomorrow to fix it... please help.

thanks, chris

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #2  
If the solenoid is clicking when the key is turned to start, the problem is almost for sure to be the battery, cables or starter. If the motor was seized, you would not get the clicking if the staring system was in good order.

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP!
ok, just did some research (called my big bro) he said the same exact thing u just did, i thought so myself, but when i hooked up a car to try to get extra juice... no difference... but he suggested the battery may just be shot, so i took the battery out and have it hooked up to a charger now and its showing it was weak, by morning ill know if its holding charge, and will also hopefully be riding the tractor lol... i feel so much better now if its just the battery....

thanks for quick reply too man.

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #4  
If the solenoid is clicking when the key is turned to start, the problem is almost for sure to be the battery, cables or starter. If the motor was seized, you would not get the clicking if the staring system was in good order.

I tend to agree UNLESS he has a leaking head gasket and has got water in a cylinder. He did say it was getting sluggish. Definitely check battery first.

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #5  
I tend to agree UNLESS he has a leaking head gasket and has got water in a cylinder. He did say it was getting sluggish. Definitely check battery first.

Good thinking...but I don't think that's the answer...

Piperc744, while you have the battery out, take a good look at the hot cable and the ground...also the cable connections on the starter. My guess is you have a corroded cable or ground and it just wore your battery down...

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #6  

If it's seized and the starting system is good the starter will still engage and sound like a click to many people.

I do agree though it's probably the starter or connections. Start at the battery and clean connections to the starter, including grounds.

okay guys, i took the battery out and the starter off, the bendix looks fine, i hot wired it up to the battery and it ejected and spun fine, but did not seem powerful enough to turn the crankshaft over in my personal opinion... took it to autozone and checker auto to have it bench tested, both tested good, but also did not have part number for this chinese junk, so had to use something they thought was similar in thier computers. (autozone, used random code, and checker used a john deer code) both tested fine, but im still thinking its the weak starter motor. i put my truck battery in and hooked it up (from my 7.3L PSD) and i got no turn over, just a single or a couple clicks then nothing. the engine was trying to turn over early this morning, but not much, so i think its not seized... but ive found jinma starters at a farmpro website and its $235!!! sucks... but i think thats what i have to do. what do u guys think?

and thanks again for all the responses guys.

ps. now im mowing with my riding mower the jobs i have lined up.... not fun when u have a 5 ft. bush hog at home.... and the little mower looks dinky on my 18 ft. trailer lol... ill take any advice i can get right now guys...

- chris

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #8  
Can you turn it over manually? Activate and hold the decompression lever, pull and hold the fuel stop, jack up a rear tire, put it in low gear and see if you can spin the tire by hand. If the the fan blades spins the motor isn't siezed.

Take care during this procedure that the tractor can't start - hence the decompression and fuel precautions!

have not done that yet, but that is the next step i had planned, what i was gonna do is when my nephew gets home, have him hop in the truck and ill sit on the tractor, ill engage it into gear and let him roll me, if the tire spins im ok.... if not.... im afraid i seized it up.... im not gonna drop the clutch in case it is seized. ill just engage gear and roll with no power..... what u think?

/ Engine Seize PLEASE HELP! #10  
As Roy says, check your terminals and battery posts. They should shine on both sides. Sounds to me like you have a voltage drop on one under load. You can put a volt meter on your starter to ground and have someone hit the key, you should have 12volts or close to. If not, measure again on the terminals then on the actual posts. All should be 12volts. If you don't have a meter you can buy one at Harbor Freight for under $10 bucks, I got one free with a coupon.