Long 460 dies after about 30 minutes

/ Long 460 dies after about 30 minutes #1  

tokinokie

Tractor
Long 460
my tractor runs great for about the first 30 minutes of operation. then the exhaust note changes and it starts to surge, then dies and takes about 30 minutes to restart. any suggestions?

/ Long 460 dies after about 30 minutes #2  
Welcome to TBN.
I would start by checking the fuel filter and also check the fuel tank vent. To check the vent just take the fuel tank lid off as it starts to act up and if it clears you have found the problem. Fuel filters can at first glance look good but on closer inspection be waxed off.
Was it blowing black smoke, white or no smoke when the engine tone changed and as it was shutting off?

/ Long 460 dies after about 30 minutes
thank you i will be checking these things as it does seem to cut out like a fuel starvation issue. the tractor was blowing no smoke when it died.

thank you i will be checking these things as it does seem to cut out like a fuel starvation issue. the tractor was blowing no smoke when it died.
can you tell me if the fuel lines going in/out the fuel pump (mounted on the side of the block). are the fuel lines pressurized on the fuel pump and are there any special things i might need to know about the pump?

/ Long 460 dies after about 30 minutes #5  
yep.. look at tank vacume and fuel delivery.

soundguy

is there anything special i need to do as far as taking fuel lines off of the fuel pump or do i just take them off and reinstakk them later as normal?

/ Long 460 dies after about 30 minutes #7  
why ya taking the lines off?

soundguy

/ Long 460 dies after about 30 minutes #8  
just take the fule cap off and run it and see if that helps any

i am going to go ahead and replace the filters and fuel pump. i started the tractor today and it fired up (exhaust note sounded wrong when i started it) it ran about 20 seconds the died. there was not any smoke coming from the exhaust when i started it up which is unusual. i usually see a black cloud at fire up.

/ Long 460 dies after about 30 minutes #10  
replace the ful pump? hope you are talking about a lift pump and not the injector pump

soundguy