TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA #1  

PossumHound

Gold Member
I'm not mechanically inclined myself, but I've seen so many threads here where some of you members do fantastic work repairing, fabricating, and just plain "getting it done". Here's a link to a tractor for sale torn to s**t by a tornado. I'm just wondering what the experts think about this, worthless, repairable but too costly, or interesting project? I'm looking forward to the engineers responses:

2008 MAHINDRA 2816 Tractors - Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

PH

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA #2  
What ain't broke is probably bent. No telling just what all would need to be replaced until you tore into it. Could very well be a money pit of the Nth degree. I can see a parts bill alone that would exceed it's worth. Scrap it.

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA #3  
I'm not mechanically inclined myself, but I've seen so many threads here where some of you members do fantastic work repairing, fabricating, and just plain "getting it done". Here's a link to a tractor for sale torn to s**t by a tornado. I'm just wondering what the experts think about this, worthless, repairable but too costly, or interesting project? I'm looking forward to the engineers responses:

2008 MAHINDRA 2816 Tractors - Less than 40 HP For Sale At TractorHouse.com

PH

That baby is trashed. Looks like the castings have damage. If the price were right, it might make a good parts tractor. Hope my Mahindra 5525 never gets as unlucky as this 2816.

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA #4  
the torque tube casting is busted all the driveshafts/ that run thru the torque tube will need replaced at a MINIMUM!, all the operator's station sheetmetal is FUBARRED!

I think the ONLY thing that tractor is worth is some rearend parts and MAYBE the engine. the rest is scrap and is definitely NOT worth repairing!

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA #5  
How much is the loader worth?
Tires?
Assuming they are in fine shape.

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA #6  
The loader, if not bent up, could be worth about $2000 at most. I would suspect it would be bent though. The 4 tire set, if rims are not bent, should go for about $5-600. The motor may have some value, since no one knows if it will even run now, or if the block has any cracks in it.

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA #7  
Just curious.

Any idea how high the tractor would have to have been lifted to cause that amount of damage?

Steve

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA #8  
I don't know about fixing it, it looks like the entire trans housing is broken and who know beyond that? Deffinitely gong to get into some unknowns and a pile of money to make it right. It would make an excellent parts machine for $2500 though. Being a Mitsubishi fan, that S3L2 engine is a good one and w/ 80 hours it's probably worth close to the buying price alone. It says the loader, engine, diff, 3 point, hydraulics, etc are still like new/good. The 15/16 series Mahindras have gotten excellent reviews from everything I've read on them from owners and industry reports. I think its basically a parts machine myself and I'd still want to pay less than the $2500 asking price but I think it's actually worth every penny of the $2500 as she sits.

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA #9  
It's done. Other than internal hard parts (Gears, shafts, pump, motor parts, etc) it is junk. I would not trust the loader frame or cylinders, without a serious in person inspection. Motor was upside down, rolled around, who knows if water got inside. Probably a good 'core' motor, may run good, but it is a gamble.

Just by saying- "I'm not mechanically inclined"- that right there says NO don't buy it. Even assuming it could be fixed- your labor costs would far exceed the value of the unit. Paying someone else is the expensive part. If you could stick it in your shop and do it yourself that's the only way to fix something like this. However this particular specimen is not repairable, the main trans/bell casting is busted, the rest of the frame is a mess, and it's ready to go back to the Orient as scrap metal after being parted out. And the good thing is not much torch work needed :lol: Momma nature did it all already.

/ TORNADO DAMAGED MAHINDRA
It's done. Other than internal hard parts (Gears, shafts, pump, motor parts, etc) it is junk. I would not trust the loader frame or cylinders, without a serious in person inspection. Motor was upside down, rolled around, who knows if water got inside. Probably a good 'core' motor, may run good, but it is a gamble.

Just by saying- "I'm not mechanically inclined"- that right there says NO don't buy it. Even assuming it could be fixed- your labor costs would far exceed the value of the unit. Paying someone else is the expensive part. If you could stick it in your shop and do it yourself that's the only way to fix something like this. However this particular specimen is not repairable, the main trans/bell casting is busted, the rest of the frame is a mess, and it's ready to go back to the Orient as scrap metal after being parted out. And the good thing is not much torch work needed :lol: Momma nature did it all already.

With little mechanical apptitude, I wasn't planning to touch this thing, but I was interested in hearing what those of you who are experienced mechanics had to say about this demolished tractor. I've seen tornado damage around here, but I never thought one could produce this kind of damage to a well built tractor. I'll take tornado warnings more seriously from now on.

PH