NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING #1  

deereman75

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 2120, Warner & Swasey 6000# offroad forklift, Case W9B loader, various non-running decorations
I saw this truck on the local on line classifieds, and I really felt sorry for this guy. "1990 toyota 4x4 pickup $900" "I took my truck into the high school shop with minor engine trouble... and now it needs a new engine, I dont have the money to fix it so I have to sell it"

I have also heard of people taking things like chainsaws in, and never getting them back.

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING #2  
I wouldn't write the idea off so quickly. A couple of things come to mind.

First, Caveat Emptor........you get what you pay for. Second, you know that it will be worked on by a student (hopefully supervised). Third- by the ad, the poster shouldn't be bashing anyone. He may be trying to cover his tracks Ie: knew it was a big problem and hoping to get it fixed free.

There are quite a few "tech centers" in Vermont. These are invaluable when it comes to education. The students that express interest in attending might not be "college track material" and this gives them an education that will take them somewhere.

For some, this is the only way they can express themselves and their intelligence.

I would sooner question the person selling the truck than the place he got it "fixed". Certainly a one sided story there.

SO please- re-think all of this.

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING #3  
Well, I realize times have changed a lot since 1975-6, but I took a year of vo-tech school in Pensacola and we never had any of those types of problems. However, the school controled what was brought into the shop and when it left. We did a Dodge automatic transmisson that a couple of the less mechanical students took apart, and it took us a new valve body, that the instructor purchased, because they never should have taken it apart. The school sent a guy down to the shop one afternoon taking inventory of everything. I was assigned to go with him. The reason he gave me was because the Dodge had been in there past the alloted time and that is what started the required full inventory.
David from jax

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING #4  
Desperate people do desperate things as bad as that story sounds he probably couldn't have afforded the proper repair at a good shop either. my 2c

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING
Well it seems the high school here has a really bad reputation for there shop, I know MANY people who have brought things in and get them back in worse shape, or dont get them back at all. Based on what I have heard about this shop from lots of people, I wouldnt be surprised if they did destroy an engine. I agree not all school shops are like this, and they guy could have had a big problem to begin with, but there is a really good chance with this school that they did write off an engine.

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING #6  
Thought I would chime in as I have taught a school shop for 22 years and let me tell you I would not bring anything in for kids to work on . They could tear up a anvil. That being said everyone wants something fixed for nothing and hope the kids or the instructor will fix thier car for free. Now in the kids deffence they think they know everything but know nothing. And have patience for about 5 min and out comes the hammer. Yes i try to watch but you can't watch 20 plus kids all the time and it takes a second to screw up. Here we have everyone that brings in something sign a release and i tell them that chances of the kids fixing it are slim to none. Bottom line is people looking for something for nothing. Its funny though every year we have high school kids going into medical field and never do they ask them to perfrom heart surgery. The kids learn by making mistakes and trust me they don't learn the first time. So my advise is don't take anything in to a high school shop that you care about' want to see agian'. But if you have something that you dont care about that is what makes good shop projects for the kids they do try hard just dont always turn out so good.

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING #7  
Well it seems the high school here has a really bad reputation for there shop, I know MANY people who have brought things in and get them back in worse shape, or dont get them back at all. Based on what I have heard about this shop from lots of people, I wouldnt be surprised if they did destroy an engine. I agree not all school shops are like this, and they guy could have had a big problem to begin with, but there is a really good chance with this school that they did write off an engine.

The reputation of a High School shop is a direct reflection on the Instructor.
The kids are there to learn and its his job to train them to do it right.

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING
I agree with that, when my dad got a new lawm mower to replace his old lawmboy, he gave it to his friend who was a school shop teacher for the kids to fix, he never saw it again. (and didnt expect to)

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING #9  
The same goes for an actual repair shop.

I have been an employer (none on staff now) and own/operate a small auto repair shop and had plenty of employees that are "adults" and have at least some formal training can tear up stuff and cost a shop so much money its not funny.

Thats the main reason I am alone now days tired of babysitting idiots and paying them to watch ME work.

/ NEVER LET A SCHOOL SHOP FIX ANYTHING #10  
Well good luck with that just Bill as i am sure you are one of the ones that wants something for nothing. You are right the kids are there to learn and the instructor is there to help the kids and keep them safe not to fix Tight asses stuff. If you want it done right with a warranty go to a local shop and pay them don't excpect a high school shop to fix your stuff and warranty it you get what you pay for.