Driveline plunger repair

/ Driveline plunger repair #1  

dmiletich

Tractor
New Holland TK100M
My driveline from my pto to flail mower has u joints on each end and has a spring plunger that snaps in place to hold the driveline on both the pto of the tractor and the flail mower. The problem I am having is the springs are not working on both ends and I have to slide the u joints onto the splines and then use a punch to punch out the plunger to lock them onto the splines. I have to keep checking them because they have a tendancy to come off the splines. There is cross braces on both the tractor and mower so the few times it has come off it did not hurt anyone. I looked at these plungers real close and see no way to remove them so they can be replaced. My question is, are they replacable or do I have to get new u joints? Is there a better way to go than the plunger type? I have seen the collar type that is spring loaded that snaps into place, are they better?

/ Driveline plunger repair #2  
Are you describing the pto drive shaft to the bush hog.
I've used 3 different types. the slip clutch to connect to output shaft.
The type where universal joint has a push pin to release or hold to output shaft
Also years ago there was a type there bolts were tightened to keep attached to output shaft.
Each worked good if kept clean and slightly oiled. Several times seen where when removed from tractor the drive shaft is dropped into the dirt and left there until next time needed and filled with dirt. this push pin then is rusted or hard to be sure it is holding when placed on the shaft.
Never seen a repair kit for this type. I've seen where the pin is removed and a bolt is then placed to make sure the shaft stays attached. If yours is damaged to this point that cannot be sure it is in place maybe time to replace the total shaft.
Just purchased a replacement at Tractor Supply for my bush hog. tried to use on different tractor and shaft was to short.
ken