New owner of F 1700

/ New owner of F 1700 #1  

mbland06

Tractor
Ford 1700
Absolutely love my new toy!!!! having problems locating body parts.. ie fenders... anyone have a source?? By the way, THANK YOU JC-jetro for your willingness to share your knowledge!! Look forward to "picking" your brain..

Last edited:
   / New owner of F 1700 #5  
Absolutely love my new toy!!!! having problems locating body parts.. ie fenders... anyone have a source?? By the way, THANK YOU JC-jetro for your willingness to share your knowledge!! Look forward to "picking" your brain..

Michale,

I was down in my place and have the info you requested. Attached below you'll find dimension information you requested. Any sheet metal shop can fab up a facsimile of what I have here. I also took some pictures for your benefit. I can either post them here or email it to you. Give me your choice and good luck with your new toy.

JC:)

Attachments

• Ford 1700 fender.PDF
    311.7 KB · Views: 142
   / New owner of F 1700
would you please email them to mwbland@hotmail.com ?

Have you replaced your temp sensor? I know my gague is bad.. shows hot all the time, needs to be replaced too.. any suggestions??

Thank you SOOOO much!!

/ New owner of F 1700 #7  
would you please email them to mwbland@hotmail.com ?

Have you replaced your temp sensor? I know my gague is bad.. shows hot all the time, needs to be replaced too.. any suggestions??

Thank you SOOOO much!!

I will email you the pics shortly and along with dimensions should be able to fab something close. I still think you should take a look at JD-990 as it is pretty much like Ford 1700 with exception of less curves. I have not changed my sending unit as I never had issue with it. if sending unit wire shorted to ground it will show it pegged out all the time. you need to test the sender on it's own. If you have an ohm-meter you can read the resistance of sending unit to the ground. Cold resistance should be about 700 ohms and about 140 ohms at operating temp of 172 degrees. 1/8" passed the middle the resistance should read about 90 ohms and t-stat housing of 196 degrees. Do you have an infra red non contact thermometer?

JC,

pics are on the way.

/ New owner of F 1700
Thank you again!!! If your every in the Little Rock area :D .... I will compare the JD990 and the sheet metal shop for costs.... isn't the 990 fiberglass?? I will ohm out the wires and the sending unit.. GREAT Info!! oh and I do not have an infra red non contact thermometer:(

Thanks again
Michael

/ New owner of F 1700 #9  
Thank you again!!! If your every in the Little Rock area :D .... I will compare the JD990 and the sheet metal shop for costs.... isn't the 990 fiberglass?? I will ohm out the wires and the sending unit.. GREAT Info!! oh and I do not have an infra red non contact thermometer:(

Thanks again
Michael

Michael,

Did you get the pics I sent you? the reason I mentioned JD 5103 or 990 is was just the simplicity of the fender design so it make it easier to fab up. On my 1700 the fender is made of several sections. Sections are pressed in dies and welded together. That allows them to do funny curve that is hard to duplicate not having the right jigs. 990's fender is still sheet metal. pretty much all NH TC's are fiberglass. you can look at NH TC-30 to get some idea. you might be able to make it using pop rivets, spot welds and combinations to make a geometrically simple but effective. I have been to Little rock on several occasions since my wife cousins used to live there prior to moving to California. Pretty country there. If you get a chance and have HF nearby you can pick one up on the cheap when on sale. It is certainly a good tool to have on your repertoire. On other thing that you should know, normal needle position on most tractor is on cold prior to start. 1700 is a bit different. it's normal, engine off is on high. when you put the key in and turn it on or preheat then the needle jumps to low. you start the tractor and as long as you key is on "on" the needle slowly creeps up as engine gets warmer. That gives you visual clue that wiring and sender is okay. make sure while engine is on the key is not on 12:00 as that is off position. it has to stay on 1:00 pm one click left of start for Alternator and temp sending unit to work.

JC,

/ New owner of F 1700
Sweet!! the pics are GREAT!!! again GREAT information!!! my gauge stays "hot" position...I just need to get my meter on it tomorrow afternoon...
I changed the oil and filter today and man what a difference it made!! I've only put 3.5 hrs on it since I brought it home... What type of grease have you had the best luck with? we do have a HF in Little Rock.. I'll check it out

Thank you