IH 574 possible bad clutch??

/ IH 574 possible bad clutch?? #1  

farmgirl75

Tractor
IH 574
I'm looking at buying an IH 574 for my small hobby farm. Basically need it to do some snow (push or blower) and move the horse manure around. Found what looks like a very sturdy tractor up the road but it's got an issue no one can seem to identify. My uncle who has THREE tractors thinks it's the clutch or disk, but doesn't want to say for sure. If it isn't the clutch, he doesn't know what else would be the problem.

Starts like a dream, hydrolics are tight, but when you start her up, you really need to give it a lot of gas to move forward or reverse. It doesn't jump or "walk" when you move her so I'm just not convinced it's the clutch. Tranny seems good and changes gears very smooth.

The lady who owns it is selling because her husband passed away and honestly doesn't know anything about it.

Any thoughts?

/ IH 574 possible bad clutch?? #2  
I'm looking at buying an IH 574 for my small hobby farm. Basically need it to do some snow (push or blower) and move the horse manure around. Found what looks like a very sturdy tractor up the road but it's got an issue no one can seem to identify. My uncle who has THREE tractors thinks it's the clutch or disk, but doesn't want to say for sure. If it isn't the clutch, he doesn't know what else would be the problem.

Starts like a dream, hydrolics are tight, but when you start her up, you really need to give it a lot of gas to move forward or reverse. It doesn't jump or "walk" when you move her so I'm just not convinced it's the clutch. Tranny seems good and changes gears very smooth.

The lady who owns it is selling because her husband passed away and honestly doesn't know anything about it.

Any thoughts?

By chance, does it make a clicking sound when you first give it throttle?

IH made a 574 HYDRO (hydrostatic tranny) you MAY have one there...although the comment about "gear changes" doesn't sound like a hydro....If so, I WANT IT!!!!! Handy tractor...

Last edited:
   / IH 574 possible bad clutch??
Thanks for the info - I guess it is a hydrostatic tranny, does that give you more to go on?

/ IH 574 possible bad clutch?? #4  
Thanks for the info - I guess it is a hydrostatic tranny, does that give you more to go on?

I'm gonna bounce a few questions off a friend, who's a bit of an International expert, and see what he can tell me. I've ran a few of the IH hydros of bigger stature, but never been on/around a 574 Hydro. If it IS a hydro, it would be an excellent chore tractor.

Let me see what I can find out about identifying what you may have. I'm sure a serial number/model # would be helpful if that's possible....

/ IH 574 possible bad clutch??
I never mentioned it because I know I've got to replace it, but the idling cable is snapped/stretched (easy job). Could it all be caused by that??

/ IH 574 possible bad clutch?? #6  
I never mentioned it because I know I've got to replace it, but the idling cable is snapped/stretched (easy job). Could it all be caused by that??

Not familiar with the term "idling cable"....Are you referring to the throttle cable? If so, that still shouldn't effect the clutch/tranny/hyrdo/et al....