NH LS1170 Skid Steer Smoking

/ NH LS1170 Skid Steer Smoking #1  

hkatcgm

Tractor
Massey 240
I had my 2004 LS170 "rented out" and it ran low on oil. I had to put in 4 qts to get it up to normal. It smokes like crazy now and sometimes has a little clang in the motor just as it starts up. It has good power, starts right up, just smokes a lot under power. What what you guys say is the problem? Can these diesels be overhauled or would i be needing to look for another motor? It's a 2004 model with 1200 hrs. i bought it about a yr ago with 1000 hrs. It smoked when it was cold but usually cleared up when it warmed up. Thanks in PA

/ NH LS1170 Skid Steer Smoking #2  
I had my 2004 LS170 "rented out" and it ran low on oil. I had to put in 4 qts to get it up to normal. It smokes like crazy now and sometimes has a little clang in the motor just as it starts up. It has good power, starts right up, just smokes a lot under power. What what you guys say is the problem? Can these diesels be overhauled or would i be needing to look for another motor? It's a 2004 model with 1200 hrs. i bought it about a yr ago with 1000 hrs. It smoked when it was cold but usually cleared up when it warmed up. Thanks in PA

That engine can almost certainly be overhauled, but the rule of thumb is most diesels typically go about 3000 hrs before needing one. That's assuming regular maintenance was performed on it. Sounds like yours may have suffered some excessive wear internally when it was ran with the oil level lower than normal, maybe the piston rings wore pretty bad?

If I were you, I would probably keep running it and see how long it goes but I think I would at least give it a fresh oil change and a new filter first. While you're at it, I would check the air filter too. Might be a good idea to check the cylinder compressions too and see how they compare to the spec. If the smoke and the smell bothers you that much, then your only option is to go ahead with the rebuild. If you do that, don't let anyone else "rent it out" again!!!!