Idle Surging

/ Idle Surging #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
My 555E Ford/New Holladn Loader Backhoe has had some dirty fuel issues. I've cleaned out the tank, blown out the fuel lines, replaced the filter, cleaned out the fuel pump and it's screen, and cleaned out the water sepertor and it's screen. I then added a plastic fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump that was getting nasty fairly quickly. Lately, the fuel is looking real good and I thought I was finaly past this, but today, the engine started to surge.

I replaced the big canister fuel filter and put on a new, clear plastic fuel filter, and blew out the lines. It started up and runs, but the idle goes up and down.

Why would it do this? Anything would be helfpul. I'm totaly out of ideas right now.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Idle Surging #2  
My JD 410B had idle issues once, it was the fuel pump. Also, my diesel Kubota garden tractor had the same issues, but in that case, it was a secondary fuel filter. It was tough to find, since it was located near the back of the machine, where the fuel tank is. Funny how things blend together when there is more grease than paint. Are you sure the current fuel in the tank is good.

/ Idle Surging #3  
Also, I have gotten good results using SeaFoam in carburators. I know of a TSC that sells a diesel rated SeaFoam. Maybe it would clean out injectors.

/ Idle Surging
I go through about two tanks of fuel a week. I wont rule out that there is still something in the tank, but I'm using those cheap $2 inline, clear plastic fuel filters like through aways and changing them every other day. It's been over a week on the same filter, and it looks clean, but I tossed it anyway without any improvement.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Idle Surging #5  
G'day is it a surge at idle or higher in the rev range? If it is at idle only then i would start to suspect the govenor spring in the inj pump has gone a bit soft, also what is it idling at? Too low an idle can cause a surge from memory it should be around the 800/850 mark

Jon

/ Idle Surging #6  
Could you be sucking a little air some where. If it has a fuel return line take it off and put the return line in a clear jar and start it up and see if there are any bubbles. I would also check fuel pressure.
Bill

/ Idle Surging
The surge is at idle. It goes from normal, then it goes up for a little bit, then back to normal.

Thank you,
Eddie

/ Idle Surging
Problem Solved. It turns out that I caused the problem. I put an inline fuel filter on that is clear plastic so I can remove it when it fills up with junk and put on another one quick and cheaply. The first few worked great, and in the process of changing the last one, I didn't get a good seal on the squeeze together clamps that come with the filter. It tuned out that I was sucking air into the line from those clamps. I put on hose clamps and the problem went away.

I also found out that the junk that is in my fuel tank is rust. The mechanic at my dealer said that all metal diesel fuel tanks rust when the tank is empty and condensation forms on the inside of the tank. He said that all metal tanks should be kept full, or rust will form. Apparantly its a HUGE problem with heavy equipment.

Thanks again for your help,
Eddie