Broken brush hog balde

/ Broken brush hog balde #1  

Clint S

Veteran Member
Tractor
555DTC Farmall 200
Hit a rock and broke the blade on my brush hog squealer. It broke in the middle of the bolt hole. Can it safely be welded? I have access to one of those old Lincoln Tombstone welders as I know my mig cannot do it.

/ Broken brush hog balde #2  
No. It's best to simply replace it. The blades are hard steel and are really difficult to weld.

/ Broken brush hog balde
Thats what I thought. If it could be done safely I would do it, but I don't want to take a chance

/ Broken brush hog balde #4  
They don't cost very much, definitely replace it! If you did weld it back, and it flew apart again and hurt someone, just think what an attorney could do to you???

/ Broken brush hog balde #5  
you might want to consider replacing the bolt too if it was damaged

/ Broken brush hog balde
I will replace both and keep the used one for a spare. Better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks Clint

/ Broken brush hog balde #7  
Not sure what width mower you have....(Part # for 5' is 7555, 6' is # 7556, and 7' is # 7557) Those will be hi-lift blades. Depending on how old your Squealer is, they may or may NOT have been equipped with hi-lift's from factory. They'll do a MUCH better job. Old style "low lift's" are no longer available from what I'm told. They are bolt in replacements. "Low lift" blades at one point were thinner/lighter than the part #'s I furnished (by just a couple pounds) You'll never know the difference, EXCEPT for the fact the heavier duty blades will hold up a little better.

As a bit of an experiment, I tried one set of aftermarket blades (from TSC) They didn't even come CLOSE to matching the life span of a genuine Bush Hog brand blade. Prices were pennies apart. Kind of a no brainer there....

DO NOT attempt to weld a broken blade unless you just want to live an (extremely) dangerous life. Just not worth the risk.

Last 3 sets of 7556's I bought were priced under $55 a set, inc freight.

/ Broken brush hog balde #8  
You really can't use an older blade as a spare. they have to be the same to spin with minimal vibration. If you ever lose a small piece out of the tip of one blade, it will shake so bad that it wont be usable. Replace both blades and use the old blades as scrap metal.

I agree that welding it back together isn't going to work, but I have found the steel in my blades to be excellent for doing repairs or mainging something where I needed a piece of flat stock.

Eddie

/ Broken brush hog balde #9  
Hit a rock and broke the blade on my brush hog squealer. It broke in the middle of the bolt hole. Can it safely be welded? I have access to one of those old Lincoln Tombstone welders as I know my mig cannot do it.

Talk about a cheap (and hazardous) idea......

Get the moths out of your wallet and buy a new one. It always helps to walk the area prior to mowing and look for hidden objects. I know that's probably an alien concept but it is good exercise.:laughing:

/ Broken brush hog balde #10  
I have a welded blade on my mower right now. When it broke the dealer didn't have any in stock & I wanted to get some mowing done. I ground both sides & welded with 6011. Finished the weekend. Will get 2 new blades this week. They can be welded although I wouldn't rely on a welded blade as a permanent fix. BTW I don't have an irrational fear of liability but I don't allow bystanders either. MikeD74T