Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

Default Broken brush hog balde

Hit a rock and broke the blade on my brush hog squealer. It broke in the middle of the bolt hole. Can it safely be welded? I have access to one of those old Lincoln Tombstone welders as I know my mig cannot do it.

Platinum Member

Default Re: Broken brush hog balde

No. It's best to simply replace it. The blades are hard steel and are really difficult to weld.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

Thats what I thought. If it could be done safely I would do it, but I don't want to take a chance

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

They don't cost very much, definitely replace it! If you did weld it back, and it flew apart again and hurt someone, just think what an attorney could do to you???
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

you might want to consider replacing the bolt too if it was damaged
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

I will replace both and keep the used one for a spare. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Thanks Clint

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

Not sure what width mower you have....(Part # for 5' is 7555, 6' is # 7556, and 7' is # 7557) Those will be hi-lift blades. Depending on how old your Squealer is, they may or may NOT have been equipped with hi-lift's from factory. They'll do a MUCH better job. Old style "low lift's" are no longer available from what I'm told. They are bolt in replacements. "Low lift" blades at one point were thinner/lighter than the part #'s I furnished (by just a couple pounds) You'll never know the difference, EXCEPT for the fact the heavier duty blades will hold up a little better.

As a bit of an experiment, I tried one set of aftermarket blades (from TSC) They didn't even come CLOSE to matching the life span of a genuine Bush Hog brand blade. Prices were pennies apart. Kind of a no brainer there....

DO NOT attempt to weld a broken blade unless you just want to live an (extremely) dangerous life. Just not worth the risk.

Last 3 sets of 7556's I bought were priced under $55 a set, inc freight.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

You really can't use an older blade as a spare. they have to be the same to spin with minimal vibration. If you ever lose a small piece out of the tip of one blade, it will shake so bad that it wont be usable. Replace both blades and use the old blades as scrap metal.

I agree that welding it back together isn't going to work, but I have found the steel in my blades to be excellent for doing repairs or mainging something where I needed a piece of flat stock.

Eddie

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

Quote Originally Posted by Clint S View Post
    Hit a rock and broke the blade on my brush hog squealer. It broke in the middle of the bolt hole. Can it safely be welded? I have access to one of those old Lincoln Tombstone welders as I know my mig cannot do it.
    Talk about a cheap (and hazardous) idea......

Get the moths out of your wallet and buy a new one. It always helps to walk the area prior to mowing and look for hidden objects. I know that's probably an alien concept but it is good exercise.
    A couple Kubota's and some payment books.....
    "If haying was easy, everyone would do it. It isn't."

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

I have a welded blade on my mower right now. When it broke the dealer didn't have any in stock & I wanted to get some mowing done. I ground both sides & welded with 6011. Finished the weekend. Will get 2 new blades this week. They can be welded although I wouldn't rely on a welded blade as a permanent fix. BTW I don't have an irrational fear of liability but I don't allow bystanders either. MikeD74T

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast