Scag Freedom Z Issues:

/ Scag Freedom Z Issues: #1  

azvidpro

Tractor
2011 Scag Freedom Z 48"; 1997 Dixon 5424; 1960s Allis B-110; 1957 Ferguson 35 Deluxe
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2011 Scag Freedom Z 48" 19HP Kawasaki. I use it at my home (1/2 acre) and my farmstead around the house and buildings (2 acres). It does an adequate job of mowing but whenever I pass over bare ground or even dry grass, all the dust is blown out the front of the deck and I'm constantly driving in a cloud of dust. My old Dixon Estate 5424 (which has been 'bulletproof' for the past 14 or so years - and which I still have, never had this problem). When I mow now, I end up COVERED in dust. It's bad enough that I'm considering selling the Scag. Anybody else had this problem - and is there a solution??? Thanks for your help.

/ Scag Freedom Z Issues: #3  
Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the Parts/Repairs Forum. :)

/ Scag Freedom Z Issues: #4  
I would suggest that the reason for the dust cloud is that the Scag has faster blade speed and there is alot of dry dirt in this dry weather. Just a matter of physics. I get a lot of dust with my high lift blades, so perhaps a change in the type of blade could make a difference?

/ Scag Freedom Z Issues:
Thanks Alan,
Sounds pretty much like what my dealer tells me, "It's just the way they are - guess you'll have to live with it." Maybe I'll buy a gang reel type mower and use the Scag to pull it. Anyhow, I appreciate the feedback, thanks again !! ]

/ Scag Freedom Z Issues: #6  
I had the same problem with my freedom z,blow by,I contacted scags there is a baffle that will reduce that alot,just don't understand why they don't install it on all of them from fractory,talk to your dealer,if not contact scaggs,

/ Scag Freedom Z Issues:
tanman,
Thank you for your input. I'll check with my dealer again. Anything to reduce the dust problem can't hurt.

/ Scag Freedom Z Issues: #8  
Well my dealer did'nt know there was a fix for it,I got in touch with scags,there is a baffle for the left side of the deck that bolts on that keeps alot of that stuff from blowing out as much.If you need a name from scags can give you one.

/ Scag Freedom Z Issues:
tanman,
Yes please, if you have a contact name at Scag it would be very much appreciated. I am taking my mower in for routine service soon and would like to have them fix the problem while it's there. Thanks again.
Wayne

/ Scag Freedom Z Issues: #10  
I had the same problem with my freedom z,blow by,I contacted scags there is a baffle that will reduce that alot,just don't understand why they don't install it on all of them from fractory,talk to your dealer,if not contact scaggs,

Tanman, Do you or anyone else know the part number or have a picture if this dust reducing baffle? I just bought a left over 2010 Freedom Z 48" and I'm having the same issue with dust, leaves and grass blowing into my eyes and all over me. :sneeze: