Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks?

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks? #1  

Elkins45

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800
I looked at a Massey 245 this weekend with only 2000 hours but in very rough shape. It has the Perkins diesel and I noticed a decent quantity of oil on the ground under the front of the engine. I didn't poke around enough to see exactly where it was coming from, except to see that it didn't appear to be leaking from the front shaft bearing.

Where are the common leak points on these engines and how hard (expensive) are they to fix. I'm probably an idiot but I'm thinking about seeing if the owner will let it go for around $3000. I figure it will probably need another $1K to get the PS working again, replace the exhaust, fix the leaks...

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks? #2  
I looked at a Massey 245 this weekend with only 2000 hours but in very rough shape. It has the Perkins diesel and I noticed a decent quantity of oil on the ground under the front of the engine. I didn't poke around enough to see exactly where it was coming from, except to see that it didn't appear to be leaking from the front shaft bearing.

Where are the common leak points on these engines and how hard (expensive) are they to fix. I'm probably an idiot but I'm thinking about seeing if the owner will let it go for around $3000. I figure it will probably need another $1K to get the PS working again, replace the exhaust, fix the leaks...

The rear main crankshaft seal is a potential leak source. On my 1964 MF135 diesel (the Perkins AD3-152) there is a small weep hole on the bottom of the clutch housing. Ream it out with a small twist drill or piece of wire. If you get a few drops of oil, that's normal. If the flow is heavier, it's probably that seal.

To fix main bearings on the Perkins, you have to drop the oil pan which is a heavy casting that's part of the tractor's main structure.

Good luck.

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks? #3  

Front leaks, I'd check timing gear cover. Rear leaks are USUALLY rear oil pan gaskets. Rear main seal is 1 in a 1000 compared to pan gaskets. Also look for leaks around power steering.

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks?
Farmwithjunk said:
Front leaks, I'd check timing gear cover. Rear leaks are USUALLY rear oil pan gaskets. Rear main seal is 1 in a 1000 compared to pan gaskets. Also look for leaks around power steering.

How much trouble is it to replace the timing chain cover gasket?

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks? #5  
How much trouble is it to replace the timing chain cover gasket?

Depends on how you define "trouble"....

You'll need to remove hood, grill, radiator, water pump, belt, hoses, lower pulley, and to do the job RIGHT the oil pan should be done at the same time.

I have an old MF dealer flat rate book. Timing chain cover R&R is listed @ 7.2 man hours.

Farmwithjunk said:
Depends on how you define "trouble"....

You'll need to remove hood, grill, radiator, water pump, belt, hoses, lower pulley, and to do the job RIGHT the oil pan should be done at the same time.

I have an old MF dealer flat rate book. Timing chain cover R&R is listed @ 7.2 man hours.

That's how I define "trouble". :)

There's a diesel 235 listed on Craigslist not too far from you. I might give it a look this weekend when I'm back in town. I don't really need another 'project' if I can avoid it. I would rather buy one that only might be trouble over one that I already know has problems, even if it costs a few hundred more.

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks? #7  
That's how I define "trouble". :)

There's a diesel 235 listed on Craigslist not too far from you. I might give it a look this weekend when I'm back in town. I don't really need another 'project' if I can avoid it. I would rather buy one that only might be trouble over one that I already know has problems, even if it costs a few hundred more.

On the 235; Check steering components really close.....That was their weak point. Front axle, steering, especially POWER steering (if equipped) were problematic at best. Replacement power steering cylinders are virtually non existant. The 235 didn't stay in production long before it was replaced.

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks? #8  
Perkins generally leak from any area that is supposed to retain fluids to any surface below the engine.

(sorry, sometimes I simply cannot help myself)

Farmwithjunk said:
On the 235; Check steering components really close.....That was their weak point. Front axle, steering, especially POWER steering (if equipped) were problematic at best. Replacement power steering cylinders are virtually non existant. The 235 didn't stay in production long before it was replaced.

Hmmm... You make it sound like the really rough 245 (PS is already dead) might be a better long-term buy if I can't get parts for the 235.

/ Perkins AD3-152 most common oil leaks? #10  
Hmmm... You make it sound like the really rough 245 (PS is already dead) might be a better long-term buy if I can't get parts for the 235.

The 235 is a good tractor. For the most part, an upgraded 135, but with what MF was hoping would be a better steering system. That flopped..... Avoid a 235 if it's ever had a loader. Beyond that, the 235 is essentially the same as a 245. If the steering appears to be sound, and not abused, I'd not hesitate to give one a fair shot.

The thing is, 135's, 150's, 235's, 240's, 241's, 245's and 250's are VERY common tractors. They pop up for sale from time to time. Fall and winter is usually a better time to find a good deal. I avoid "rough" tractors like the plague unless they are cheap CHEAP. It's so easy to sink a lot of bux into one if it needs a lot of work.

If I see/hear of any bargains on a good 70/80's Massey any time soon, I'll give you a shout.