help! snowblower auger has stopped

/ help! snowblower auger has stopped #1  

emery

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota b9200
While widening driveway a bit, the auger on my Woods sb60 stopped turning. Problem appears to be in gearbox as sheer bolts did not break (wish they had).

How do you get the gear box off, I can't see how the auger drive shaft disconnects from gear box. Is it all one piece?

I have operators manual but no disassemble detail are in there.

/ help! snowblower auger has stopped #2  
emery,

I have a newer, Woods SS60 and very little experience with it, but I'll try to help.

Does the impeller turn?

Does the auger turn freely now, or is it stuck?

If it turns, does the chain turn with it?

If the chain turns, does the PTO shaft turn as well?

My woods has one shear bolt on the auger shaft and another one on the PTO shaft, at the tractor end, if I remember correctly. Just wondering if you snapped a shear bolt on the PTO shaft.

~Rick

/ help! snowblower auger has stopped
I have disconnected the pto shaft and openned the gear box by removing the 4 bolts. I can see that the auger gear is not engaging main drive gears that are on shaft running from front to back(one end on pto and one end on impeller.)

problem is I cannot figure out proper way to remove entire gear box so I can disassemble and completely to see what has happened.

my machine also has sheer bolt at pto tractor end and also has one on auger gear sprocket. As I said neither of these broke.

/ help! snowblower auger has stopped #4  
emery,

I just went down and got my SS60 Operator's Manual, and like most manuals, has everything but what we need to know.

From the parts breakdown, it looks like there might be 4 bolts underneath the gear box. On my diagram it shows 4 bolts on top of the gear box and 4 on the underside. Is that similar to yours?

~Rick

/ help! snowblower auger has stopped #5  
Call Woods or e-mail them....they probably wood advise you as what to do...

Rick,
Yes, there are 4 bolts on top and 4 beneath. The problem is the drive shaft leading out of the gearbox which goes over to the chain. I can't see how that gets disconnect from gearbox (if it does)

Steele Wheels,
Yes, I will try that. Do you happen to have a service # or email address?

/ help! snowblower auger has stopped #9  
I'm at work now. When I get home today, I'll check my manual, but it's not very explicit.

~Rick

/ help! snowblower auger has stopped #10  
I have found the parts guy at the Woods dealer to be very helpful when I was fixing up my RM59. He was able to call up parts diagrams on his computer and print them for me.

Chris