Starter problem JD 4200

/ Starter problem JD 4200 #1  

dchanslor

Tractor
John Deere 4200
My JD is about 12 years old and never failed to start... until today. I don't use it much - less than 500 hours - but use it on frequent occasions for short jobs.
I had some rotting stumps to knock down and it started and ran fine first thing this morning but when I stopped for a water break it would not crank, just a faint click. The starter relay is working and I hear a little humming or rattling noise if I hold the key over.
I get a click but not loud click like a starter solenoid - I'm guessing that's bad. Only two bolts hold the assembly it looks like but I think I have got to take some other stuff off to get it out.
It's hot down here in Alabama in July so I rigged a beach umbrella over the tractor to give me some shade. I saw a thread about a starter so I will wait and see how Lonewolf204 with his 4520 comes out before I grab a wrench.
Think I might wait until sundown or early morning.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

/ Starter problem JD 4200 #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Starter problem JD 4200 #3  
I saw a thread about a starter so I will wait and see how Lonewolf204 with his 4520 comes out before I grab a wrench.
Think I might wait until sundown or early morning.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

I suggest you do a TBN search for thermistor...might be more applicable to your problem. But look for loose or corroded battery cables or grounds. It doesn't take much, especially if the battery is marginal.
Lonewolf's 4520 is a completely different machine (Deere all the way rather then Deere/Yanmar) and a much different design, so I doubt there would be much help with his solution.

Welcome to TBN!!

/ Starter problem JD 4200
It was just the battery. Got a new one and it's fine.
What's that about Yanmar? Who dat? This one is made out of plastic. Is that Yanmar plastic?

/ Starter problem JD 4200 #5  
It was just the battery. Got a new one and it's fine.
What's that about Yanmar? Who dat? This one is made out of plastic. Is that Yanmar plastic?

The 4200 has a Yanmar engine.
Yanmar has been manufacturing small diesel engines (used in industrial, marine and agricultural applications) as well as tractors (they build the current 3005 and 4005 tractors as well as several older Deere CUTs) for many many years.
I'm pretty sure the rest of the 4200 is manufactured and assembled in the US.

/ Starter problem JD 4200
Thanks Roy. The 4200 has been a great tractor for a "gentleman farmer".

/ Starter problem JD 4200 #7  
Hello & WELCOME to TBN!

I moved your thread to the Parts/Repairs Forum. :)