Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #11  
follow the wire front the solenoid back up.. i bet you fid some wires nastilly twisted together or but connected together.. check that connection.

soundguy

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #12  
yes because somebody has cut the wires at the shifttop that goes to the neutral saftey and sealed off the whole but look up under the calen fy were the keyswitch is at and see if there is two wires conected to each other or twisted together

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch
Okay, sounds like you're on to something here. It's dark now, but I'll be sure and check it first thing in the morning. Thanks guys! You're all a great help!

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #14  
I took a few photos of what mine looks like. I appears that someone placed some sort of plug where your safety switch wires should be exiting the transmission. It's amazing what a little spray paint can hide. :D

Attachments

• DSCN0206.jpg
    DSCN0206.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCN0208.jpg
    DSCN0208.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 387
  • DSCN0207.jpg
    DSCN0207.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 371
Yeah, I see what you're talking about from the pictures you sent. Mine has a rubber plug where apparently the wires once exited the transmission. I looked up under the crowling. There are no extra wires around the key switch but on the other side, there are several. I'll just have to try and pull them all down and see what I can find. If the safety switch has previously been by-passed, then the problem must be the two wires they tied together and not making good contact. What I don't understand is why it will eventually crank when I move the hi/low shifter to a certain spot. I'm still flabber gasted! Thanks to all of you for your time and effort. At least I 've got something solid to look at now whereas I didn't have a clue before. THANKS!

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #16  
i bet it's just bad contact in the wires or switch.

trace the wire from the solenoid up.. that's where you will / should find the splice, then on to the switch start contact. bypass if needed switch to solenoid to check.

soundguy

You were right Soundguy. I found where the two wires were connected together and it was a good tight plug (nothing wrong). So I started the process of elimination, beginning at the battery, trying to crank it after each connection I checked. When I got to the starter side of the solenoid, it seemed tight, but with some force I did make it move. When I turned the key to crank, sparks shot out from the connection. I got my tools and took the cable off and cleaned everything up good and put it back on good and tight and it fired up, first try. I killed it and tried it several more times, each time cranking it. I'm satisfied now that it was just a bad connection on the solenoid. Again I want to say a big THANK YOU to all who had a part and/or suggestion to my problem. I really appreciate and hope I can somehow return the favor in the future.

"If you've got a car, you've got a ride. If you've got a truck, you've got a better ride. If you've got a tractor, you've got it all."

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #18  
i've got nearly 20 ford tractors. it was a pretty safe bet what your problem was after hearing the symptoms ,

:)

BTDT... got the oil stained shop floors and dirty red shop rags and greasy tshirt :)

soundguy

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #19  
Same happened on my 3000 ford bypassed the safety switch and put on slush to start button below the key. But that also allows it to start in gear so it's not the best way fix it.