Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #1  

Bobby R

Silver Member
Tractor
1972 Ford 2000
I'm having a problem with the safety switch on my `72 Ford 2000. Yesterday I assumed the switch was stuck because when I finally put the hi/low selector shift in neutral position the tractor cranked up. Today, I found that neutral position is not working either. I had to move the shifter to numerous positions before the starter would finally engage. Is there a way to by pass this safety switch without going into the transmission? It took me about 5 minutes to find a position so the tractor would start. I just want to do away with the safety switch function if I can. Any suggestions?

"If you've got a car, you've got a ride. If you've got a truck, you've got a better ride. If you've got a tractor, you've got it all."

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #2  
yes there should be two wires coming out the top of the trans. There should be a conector on them on just un plug them from the wires hanging out the dash and them plug the two wires hanging out the dash together

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch
I looked all over the transmission, top, bottom, and sides and don't see any wires coming from it at all. It stands to reason that if there's safety switch in there, there would be some wired to it, but sure haven't found any yet. Could it be something besides a safety switch keeping the starter from engaging. Don't sound like it would be since I can move the hi/low lever and finally find a position that it will crank on. I'm bum-fuzzled.

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #4  
it should be on the top right hand corner of the shift top but the only other thing i could thing of is the soleniod not grounded good are the starter not grounded go one of the two

Okay, I'll check those for good grounding.
Thanks

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #6  
Note: this is where it is on my 3000, I'm assuming your 2000 is similar.

If you take the "dash panels" off, (they would be in front of your knees), down near the lower left you should see two wires, both with in line connectors. Unplug them and then plug the two coming from the transmission together. I hope I worded that right.
Every once in a while mine acts up, but I just turn the key and hold it while moveing the gear shift back and forth. It usually only take a couple seconds for it to go.
Another note, typically I don't like safety switches, but I tried bypassing that one for a short while, and learned real quick that it's important to have. I never realized how often I turned the key without the clutch engaged until then. Make sure you're ready to go when you turn the key. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, you worded it okay, but the problem I'm having is that I haven't found any wires at all coming from the transmission.

"If you've got a car, you've got a ride. If you've got a truck, you've got a better ride. If you've got a tractor, you've got it all."

/ Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #8  
I've had this problem with my 4000 for years. There is a cover that will partially cover the transmission, it is under this cover that you will find the two wires leading to a boot that goes into the transmission. On mine there were external connectors about 6" above the boot. I just pulled these off and connected them together. The nice thing is Ford made the two connectors male and female so they could be easily connected to by pass the safety switch.
After putting two switches in my tractor, I've had them connected for years.
I always go through the ritual of wiggling the sifter before even inserting the key to start it.

Wedge

Last edited:
   / Ford 2000 hi/low selector safety switch #9  
Yeah, you worded it okay, but the problem I'm having is that I haven't found any wires at all coming from the transmission.

Have you removed those sheet metal panels? The wires are behind the left panel, almost in front of your foot. If I was home I'd take a picture, but I'm not.

My tractor doesn't have a sheet metal panel in front of where my left foot sets, nor do I see any wires in that vicinity. Also it doesn't have a cover over part of the transmission and no rubber boot. I'm going to try and upload a couple of pictures of that part of my tractor so maybe you can see what I've got, or maybe you can show me where you're talking about as a location for these things. Thanks for all you attempts to help and maybe together, we'll figure something out.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 2,405
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 2,276
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 3,696