Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    1969 Case 430

Default Re: 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse...

DJ54, I went out and took off the 4 bolts and the bolt that goes into the shifter. The plate will come up about 1/2 an inch and I can not get it higher. The shift stick will not unscrew from the unit as well. Any suggestions.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

If I remember right... Standing on the left side, you need to rock the shift cover towards you a bit. Seems the reverse fork goes in under the top of the trans. case, and won't allow it to pull straight up, to come off. Just don't get too aggressive with it.

When going back on, just make sure the forks align with the grooves. If not perfectly level, or a slight bump pulling off the cover will slide the gears one way or the other.

Tractor
    1969 Case 430

Good morning gents .... well I went out and opened the transmission on my case 440 ... what a mess ... Well I guess we all get suckered once and a while on a purchase. The dealer said a rebuild will be about 3 grand.

I am looking for a good place to get parts for a case 440 ( 1969 ). I think a 340, 341, 440, 441 will do. I am going to try to rebuild the cover plate first as that is where most of the " welding " took place. I need the forks and various parts.

Thanks in advance people.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

I'm assuming the sticker shock has you all shook up, and you're meaning "your 430" tractor, instead of 440.

With that out of the way, the part number for that cover is G1328. There is a place on ebay that has new ones for like $69.00. Note, that is just the bare cover plate, but may be worth it if yours needs completely rebuilt.

I went oto Messicks, a sponsor to this site, and checked prices on the forks. First one I came to was $413.00, so went no further. However, I used Google, and put "Case G1328 cover assembly" without quotes in the search box. I found a used one, here again, just the bare cover for $125.00. But like 1600 hits, and naturally not all had to do with a Case tractor, but many were.

The good news is, that cover assy. is/was used on many models, so chances are there are some decent used ones out there. There are a couple options, and a lot depend on how soon you want it going again, vs. 3 grand for a total rebuild. You can save a search on epay, and hope something comes up soon. You can call salvage yards you find doing a Google, or similar search engine search, OR.., place a "want to buy" ad on TractorHouse. http://www.tractorhouse.com/Default.aspx I've had pretty good luck finding hard to find parts using this last option.

You will need to register, and give some contact info. You could list is as needing the complete cover assy. I'd guess most salvage yards will, or should give some sort of warranty, or if not happy, you can return.

I have had yards contact me within as little as a few hours, through 36-48 hours. They quote you a price, so don't always jump on the first one that calls. I have even had them lower the price, because I got a lower price from another yard. Just be honest with them, and have them check if they don't believe you... A respectable salvage yard should be honest with you as far as the condition. And if you specify it "not" to be all welded up, etc., then you have somewhat of a leg to stand on, if it is not.

If that is the way you choose to go, I would definitely ask them if you are not satisfied with the part(s), can you return them, and remind them, "at their cost".

I'm guessing the smaller yards that may have these models, the tractors are still somewhat intact, so they may not know the exact condition, until they remove it. The larger yards disassemble, and inspect parts anymore.

Hope this helps some....

Tractor
    1969 Case 430

fantastic info ... thanks and I will look into it all ...

Tractor
    1969 Case 430

1969 case 440 gas Tractor. Ok ... I know I should know this but I don't. I blew a hydrolic hose on the loader and lost most of the fluid. I replaced the hose and can not find the place to re fill the fluid. There is a place for the power steering fluid. It is located in the front right of the engine just behind the generator. It is full? Do I have an air lock?

Please help

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

Does it use a front mounted pump, or the tractors hydraulics..?? If it is a front mounted pump, usually the uprights that the loader arms attach to, are the reservoir. Look for a pipe plug near the top of the upright, about 1-1/4" size fitting. There may even be a street el there for easier filling.

If it uses the tractors hydraulics, the reservoir is under the fuel tank, and is actually in the torque tube. Open this link to the Case/IH parts pages for the Case 430: Official Case IH Online Parts Store and Case IH Catalog for Parts Search and Parts Look Up. Case IH Parts for Case IH Tractors, Case IH Combines, Case IH Tractors, Case IH Manuals, Case IH Parts And it will give you an idea what to look for. The filler hole, and dipstick hole are the same. It is located on the right side. Might need a long funnel to fill it with the loader on, if this is what is used for the loader oil.

Tractor
    1969 Case 430

Cant thank you enough DJ45 ... I will head out to the lot and look for it .... Russ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12