69 Case 430, pops out of reverse...

/ 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse... #1  

MadJack

Silver Member
Tractor
86 Ford 2110 4x4
I have a 1969 Case 430 (with the big loader on it) That keeps popping out of reverse. Never a problem with forward, just reverse.
It is the shuttle shift [long stick on left side] giving me trouble... the 4-speed on the floor has no issues at this time. Actually, the tractor has no other issues.

My question is, is this something that can be fixed without splitting the tractor or should I part it out and find another old tractor to replace it? I don't have a place to do a major tear-down or the resources to buy new/modern.

Any help appreciated!

/ 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse... #2  
Here is an exploded view of your shift tower, same as on my old 310B backhoe I had.

The shuttle/reverser handle is splined into ther lever that actuates the shifting fork. These can become worn over time, and note in the picture, #9 of the parts, (center of the shifting cover, right below #12) is a 1/8" X 1" roll pin. These can break, plus wear in the splines, and will allow a lot of slop in the shift lever. Also allowing it not to push the reverse gear far enough to be where it needs to be. Mine seemed to do it, when you had backpressure on it, not so much backing, pulling a load.

It was easier for me to take the cover off, to replace that roll pin. Just be sure the shifting forks are in the notches to catch the shifting levers. They have a tendency to roll to the side when putting it back on. I thought I could adjust the shifting fork, but there are notches in the rail, and a jam/lock bolt to keep it in place on the rail.

As luck would have it, I found two of those shifting towers on ebay,and bought them both for under $40, just for spares. The shifting handle was still available through Case/IH at the time for around $600, yeah, $600..!! I just looked, and they are not available now...

One of the used covers I got for a spare had the lever brazed to the shift handle. Apparently the PO made it a permanent fix. Never needed it, so not sure if it worled correctly. It went with the hoe when I sold it, and explained to the new owner why I got it.

Hope this helps..!!

Attachments

• 001CSIH-10697.gif
    001CSIH-10697.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 931
   / 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse...
Thanks DJ54 ! I did find my shop manual [finally] so I should be removing the cover sometime soon to see what's up in there.
It does/did feel as though it wasn't getting "into gear" when I shifted into reverse.

/ 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse...
Well I removed the shuttle shift cover. This is the simple one with nothing in there but the shuttle shift, no dual range shifter to confuse things.
I found everything in order, spring balls engaging the shaft nicely-very tight, clearance from spacer to edge of cover 1/10th of an inch as per the manual, zero play on the shift fork.

I asked a friend down the road to look at the shift cover and associated parts and he believes since the shifter plates (syncros???) look perfect, it most likely is the teeth on the inside of the "hub-sleeve assembly" that the shift fork engages.
Looks like I have to remove the loader assembly and figure a way to split the tractor here on site to replace the hub-sleeve.

If anyone else had had the same issue, please chime in.
Thanks!

/ 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse... #5  
I have a 1969 case 430. It has a shifter between your legs, right below the steering. There is also a hi low shifter on the Right.

I also had the pop out of reverse, but now the dam thing is stuck in 2nd gear and will not shift. I opened the fill bolt and it is low. I do not know what to put in or how much to put in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .... Russ

/ 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse... #6  
Here are a couple of exploded views of your 430's Tans. case, and shift tower. Click on them to expand. Just behind the shifter plate on the left side, sitting in the seat, note the plug, #15 which is the trans. dip stick.

As for the shifting problem. I'm guessing the screws have backed out, or the holes have enlarged over the years, or screws snapped off. #24 is the R-fork. Note it has a screw #25, and a reverse catch plunger #26.

#20 is the 1rst-2nd shift fork. #21 is the screw holding it on the shift rail. Guess you will need to remove the shift cover, flip it over, and have a look see. Hoping the screw has just backed out as bit, as they are like $20 a pop..., and according to Messicks, a 3-5 day wait to get them. Reverse problem may be the same, just loose on the shift rail, or catch plunger damaged.

I had a 310B, and those shifting forks were held by approx. 1/16 spring/roll pins. Doesn't look like much of an improvement over what it had. Didn't take much to shear them apparently, as they were half sheared on mine when I bought it. Just slow and easy on the forward and reverse, and make sure you're at a complete stop, before shifting.

Also guessing the loss of trans grease is through the brake seals. If it is like most of that type, the brakes are somewhat like stepping on a plum, and not much stopping action. You can replace the seals, but within a year, more than likely the same thing. Just the nature of the brute.

And 90 wt. is what goes in the trans. case.

Hope this helps..!!

430 Case Gear Shift Cover.gif 430 Case Trans case.gif

Last edited:
   / 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse... #7  
I have a 1969 case 430. It has a shifter between your legs, right below the steering. There is also a hi low shifter on the Right.

I also had the pop out of reverse, but now the dam thing is stuck in 2nd gear and will not shift. I opened the fill bolt and it is low. I do not know what to put in or how much to put in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .... Russ

/ 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse... #8  
Russ, look between your two postings... Just my theory on what could be wrong...

/ 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse... #9  
Thanks DJ24. I will crack it and take a look. There is a sensor with 2 wires on the cover, just in front of the shifter. There is a wire broken off. Can you tell me what it is?

/ 69 Case 430, pops out of reverse... #10  
That would be the neutral safety switch. If you can splice it back together, or replace the wire altogether, then check to make sure it (the switch) works. It may save some heartache down the road.