Engine Blown- Ford 134 gas

/ Engine Blown- Ford 134 gas #1  

CBW1999

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510, Toro Groundsmaster 217D
Helping my brother with this problem.

He has a mid size articulated loader ("swinger") with a early 1970's Ford 134 gas engine and is hydrostatic drive. The engine blew a rod and made the corresponding hole in the block.

Question 1- is this engine interchangeable with a Ford 172 (gas or diesel)?
Question 2- does it (172) have the same bolt pattern for the bell housing as the 134?

Since it is off highway use for him, he would prefer to swap for a diesel engine to run lower RPM. He would like to explore as many options as possible (complete unit vs block to rebuild).

In previous years, he would be able to find a fair amount of things listed on E bay, but there is not a whole lot out there right now. Any ideas/suggestions on where to look?

Thanks in advance!
Curtis

/ Engine Blown- Ford 134 gas #2  
yes they are interchangeable and the bellhousing bolt pattern is the same but u must use the carb off the larger motor also not just the engine

the diesel engine like these are no go i would stick with gas engine the diesel had a problem about the pistons cracking and the head trouble but a motor shouldn't be hard to find they was in a lot of different machines just find one out of a old ford tractor from 1954-1964 ie 600 and 800 series tractors and it will

there is tons of salvage yards that have them

/ Engine Blown- Ford 134 gas #3  
Unlike "whodat526", I would highly recommend swapping to a 172 diesel. The "trouble" with piston cracking is from the user hosing down the intake pipe with ether and blowing them to kingdom0come! Recently rebuilt one that had 10,000+ hours and would have been able to keep it original bore except for the ether monster. Still was able to go 0.020 over. The 4 cylinder 172 is a dern good little engine. I have never heard about head troubles with any of the early 4 cyl ford engines gas or diesel.

The area you do have to watch with the diesels is the excess fuel return manifold under the rocker arm cover (it can crack over time and leak fuel into the oil) and the pump drive shaft seals. 2 umbrella seals and an o-ring that wear and allow fuel into the crank.

If you swap to a 172 gas, you don't "have to" change to the larger carb. You won't get as much power, but you also won't suck down as much fuel per hour either. That carb change costs you about 30% more fuel for just a couple more HP. Not worth it in my opinion.

/ Engine Blown- Ford 134 gas
These replies are interesting.

The hope to switch to diesel is specifically to be able to run lower RPM and decrease fuel consumption. But I would see at this point- the difficulty might be finding an engine that hasn't previously been possessed with the "Ether Demon". Although it might be as easy to put in new cylinder sleeves.

Even though not really needed, it still might be a good idea to maintain the bigger "carb" as to have the option of increase power if the need or application ever presented itself.

Being in Vermont, the pickings are still a little slim without having to travel or ship something.

/ Engine Blown- Ford 134 gas #5  
Just a note. The early ford diesels have the same rpm operating range as the gas engines. The diesels are only "lower rpm" when compared to modern high reving engines. 2200 to 2400 rpm is the top limit and that was dependent on the transmission used (SOS vs gear) not gas or diesel.

AND just to confuse things further.... the later 172 gas compared to 172 diesel engine had more hp AND more torque and had it at a lower rpm! That's mostly due to the low 16.8 :1 CR in the diesel. But the diesel will use just about 1/2 the fuel of the gas engine doing the same tasks.

/ Engine Blown- Ford 134 gas #6  
Here's a 134ci motor in SC! It's not mine btw, just thought I would share it. The engines are out there, but like the OP said he may wind up having to ship something in.

FORD TRACTOR ENGINE 134CI lwtm

PS- If the CL ad isn't proper in this forum, then the mod's can delete it. Have also seen an ad on the local CL for another 8N with the engine that has been taken apart. The whole tractor in parts was going for $700. I can look it up again if you need me to.

/ Engine Blown- Ford 134 gas
Thanks Kebo, my brother has friends down that way and he travels the area frequently so - it may be an option.

The best alternative would be the New England, Hudson Falls/Poughkeepsie areas.

Thanks also FordTractor and whodat526- all this information is helpful.