!955 Ford PowerMaster Diesel Tractor/Repair

/ !955 Ford PowerMaster Diesel Tractor/Repair #1  

lee roy ball

Tractor
1955 powermaster Ford diesel
I would like to buy a 1955 Ford diesel tractor. It has a knock in the engine. It sounds like solid metal hitting tin, not the block. The pulley to the crankshaft is off balance (but tight and secure). Another question? Do i have to pull the complete engine and take it apart to check the crankshaft. Is there a faster and easyer way to check this problem. Please help!!
Thank you!
Lee Ball:confused2:

/ !955 Ford PowerMaster Diesel Tractor/Repair #2  
Ford diesel tractor production began in 1958.

There is an extremely high probablilty that tractor has a broken crankshaft.
I hope you enjoy spending money and being challenged; you will have an opportunty for both. The block might be ruined as well.

/ !955 Ford PowerMaster Diesel Tractor/Repair #3  
Run Away!

You are looking at 2500 in engine repairs. Easily.

/ !955 Ford PowerMaster Diesel Tractor/Repair
In your estimation an Experience Diesel Mechanic that works on tractors and has restored several older "Ford Tractors" would have the same knowledge as you, to share the same information as you have with me, without taking my tractor to his shop and removing the engine, tearing it appart and sticking me with a huge bill? Especially when he heard the engine run before hand?:mad:

/ !955 Ford PowerMaster Diesel Tractor/Repair #5  
In your estimation an Experience Diesel Mechanic that works on tractors and has restored several older "Ford Tractors" would have the same knowledge as you, to share the same information as you have with me, without taking my tractor to his shop and removing the engine, tearing it appart and sticking me with a huge bill? Especially when he heard the engine run before hand?:mad:

I try very hard not to predict what another person would say or do, or how that person would conduct his business. I don't know for certain that the tractor in question has a broken crankshaft because I haven't heard it run or pulled the starter and pried on the flywheel while observing a dial indicator set up on the front of the crankshaft. But everything you have posted about it makes me think it does.

Ok! I had spoke to a experience diesel mechanic with shop, that i had a Ford diesel tractor, that it had a knock in the engine. That the crankshaft pully was off balanced, but secure and not lose. I asked him what does he think the problem might be. He said: it needs an overhaul-$800-$1000. Later at pick up of the tractor he heard the engine run.

Took the tractor to his shop, when i went expecting to sign a work order he already had the engine out and appart. I need your guys advice. He's saying: he needs 3500 or 500 or he he would be a nice guy and keep it for scrap. Next day he tells me he's going to fix it. but he had another guy there looking to buy it. (block fine) tells me all he was going to do at first was put a kit in. HELP!

/ !955 Ford PowerMaster Diesel Tractor/Repair #7  
You need to either have it fixed, or it is a salvage tractor. Have him do it, or pay him for his time and haul it out of there. Your call.

the question why cant you view the crank from pulling the oil pan instead of pulling a complete engine and taking it appart. It will turn when the starter is tapped.

/ !955 Ford PowerMaster Diesel Tractor/Repair #10  
LRB.. do you have alot already invested into the tractor? IE.. did you pay alot for it? if so.. you might as well fix it and have a working tractor. on the other hand if you got it cheap.. real cheap... and can scrap it or sell parts for the cost you already have incured from the purchase and the mechanic.. then that would be the way to go.

soudnguy