International 140

/ International 140 #1  

Crw

Tractor
Farmall 140
I've been messing with this tractor for a few week and it's still giving me problems
First it was pulsing when I would go up hills and would stall I checked the govenor and it looks in good shape and rebuilt the carb and checked the float for leaks I got it all back together and now when I go up a long incline it will just stall but I roll back and turn the tractor sideways on the hill and it starts right back up but it will go up the same hill in reverse with out stalling any suggestions

/ International 140 #2  
Is there a fuel pump, or is it gravity fed.

/ International 140
It is gravity fed

/ International 140 #4  
Some gravity fed tractors have problems on hills, when your in reverse, the angle might be enough to feed the carb. Make sure your fuel line is tight, there should be very little slack, especially if the gas tank isn't much higher than the carb.

/ International 140
The fule line is a hard line I am stumped with this

/ International 140 #6  
You and me both :confused:

/ International 140
These hills that I am going up are hills in my pasture that ive mowed many times with this tractor it runs great except when going up long hills I am just stumped I wonder if it could be the governor needs to be adjusted it would be nice to know if any one knows the proper way to adjust the governor maybe that could be the problem

/ International 140
I was beginning to think that if there is not enough file in the tank to keep the gravity pressure up then it might cause it to stall going ip hill sometimes I pull the choke out when it wants to stall and it will stay running for a little longer seems to me that the fule is getting cut off

/ International 140 #9  
Sounds to me like you have a restriction somewhere between the fuel in the tank and the carburator bowl. I would park the tractor headed up my steepest hill (or simulate that position by lifting & supporting the front end). Next I would disconnect the fuel line from the carburator to check fuel flow at that point:
If flow is slow, then I would work my way back to the tank inlet to locate the restriction.
If flow is good, then the restriction must be inside the carburator.

/ International 140 #10  
I agree it sounds like a fuel supply problem. Check your fuel bowl to make sure the screen is clean. If you see air at the top of the bowl then you are not getting enough gas from the tank. Old tanks can get rusted and flake off which settles to the bottom and blocks the fuel outlet. When you stall out disconnect the fuel line from the carb and see if you are getting a steady flow. If not blow into the fuel line until you hear bubbles in the tank. This will dislodge any crud. If it then runs fine for a while, it is time to clean the tank and maybe recoat it.
J.