How much paint?

/ How much paint? #1  

felixedo

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D / Deere 1026R / Bobcat CT2040
I am having an FEL installed on my NH tractor. I ordered the black because I didn't want to pay the $275 for the factory color match, and mostly because I didn't want to wait the extra 6 weeks for delivery. Anyway, I intend to paint the loader NH blue to match. At $70 / gal, $20 / qt, and $7 / spray can, I would like to get as close to right as possible.
I am thinking 2 quarts looks about right, but that is without any scientific data, just a guess. Anybody have any experience with the paint coverage?
FYI - I don't intend to paint the bucket, just the arms.

/ How much paint? #2  
Well, here's one data point:
I just repainted a metal tool cabinet with Rustoleum Hammered Copper enamel paint. It puts a neat finish on it (feels and looks hammered/bumpy, yet smooth... real nice). I used almost the full quart, and got two complete coats. The cabinet is about 6.5 ft high x 3 feet wide x 15 inches deep, and I did the front/back/top/both sides (exterior only).

Have fun, and don't paint anything that needs to "move" :thumbsup:

/ How much paint? #3  
I repainted a Ford 3000 a while back with 2 qts of Ford blue and a quart of Ford gray. It was plenty for the entire tractor. I'm thinking 1 quart of paint would easily paint your loader, minus the bucket.

/ How much paint? #4  
I agree with the other poster that one quart should be plenty. I would advise using a good quality paint, thinner and hardner. You can get it at tractor supply.
Dont forget the prep work. Most equipment has some oily residue. No matter how well you paint it, your paint job is only as good as the prep underneath.

I would first, degrease the entire project to be painted. After it is REALLY clean, masked off any parts you don't want painted. Painted over items really take away from the paint job. Then using a "scuff" pad, 3M makes a good one, scuff until the finish to be painted is dull. Any shiny parts that are painted will flake off.

Paint it in as clean as area as you can find. Using hardner will increase the shine and durability of your paint job.

Good Luck,

Morris

/ How much paint? #5  
I repainted a Ford 3000 a while back with 2 qts of Ford blue and a quart of Ford gray. It was plenty for the entire tractor. I'm thinking 1 quart of paint would easily paint your loader, minus the bucket.

yep.. just did my ford 2000 and that's about what it took.

have some grey leftover...

soundguy