L3400 not starting

/ L3400 not starting #1  

jenrow33

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
Hi guys. I have a 2007 Kubota L3400 that will not start. The last few times I noticed a short delay (maybe 1 second) when I turned the key to the start position before the engine rolled over and fired. Now I turn to the start position and nothing. I tested the switch and it works correctly. I spoke with the Kubota service tech and he said there is a starter relay under the dash that could be failing. Anyone have this problem and was it the relay? Further, how difficult is it to access this relay?

Thanks for your help.

/ L3400 not starting #2  
So you do not hear any "click" when you turn the key on? Have you tested the battery and looked for corrosion on both ends of the cable, and that the cables are tight. (easy stuff first) Check to make sure hst pedal is in neutral and the PTO is off...

/ L3400 not starting
No click or anything. Battery is good, clutch switch is working correctly, HST pedal is good, PTO position is good. I have ordered a new starter relay. Just wondering what the odds are that this is the problem and if anyone else has had similar issue. Thanks for your help. -33

/ L3400 not starting #4  
I have had a similar problem with mine. I even went as far as to get the dealer to come to pick it up......Now the rest of the story...or jump to thend for my fix.....The mechanic at the dealership told me to go ahead and cross out the starter with ajumper wire to start it. I did and it started fine. Now the he tells me to leave it running and they will send a truck for it because it is hydrostatic.....(they are at least 40 minutes away).....it gets better. The truck finally shows up and I pull the tractor onto the trailer and shut it down. Then just for giggles tried starting it again......it started at least 20 times with no issues. We decided they couldnt fix it if it wasnt broken so I unloaded off the trailer. A few days later the same thing happened. Crossed the starter no problems for weeks...............All that to say I finally figured out (by accident) that if hydro pedal is just a smidge out of position it will not start. So if yours is the HSD try moving the pedal fore and aft while turning the key. I have had zero problems since

Hope that works sorry for the long winded story :D

/ L3400 not starting #5  
With the key in the start position, tap the HST pedal back and forth. See if anything happens.

/ L3400 not starting
Good idea on the HST pedal. I had not played with that switch yet. I will try as soon as I get back to my shop.

/ L3400 not starting
Guess what, the HST pedal switch was out of adjustment. Looks like another convenient fix using TBN. Thanks guys. -33

/ L3400 not starting #8  
..the HST pedal switch was out of adjustment...
That's good to know and maybe this will help someone else, too. :thumbsup: Can you cancel the starter relay order? :)

/ L3400 not starting
Yes, since my problem happened on a weekend, the part wasn't actually ordered yet. Started her up again today just to make sure everything was good. Tomorrow I'll get some seat time to mow the grass. Pretty sure I'm in the clear now.

/ L3400 not starting #10  
My L3400 will not turn over. I check all safety switches, removed and cleaned starter, battery post, and ground.
With the wife turning the key I have voltage at the starter but no voltage at the starter relay singe wire.
Jumped it over and ran it for 10 mins to blow out the winter. Shut it off and still nothing. Removed dash and cleaned all connections behind it but still nothing.