Default 580k torque converter

hi
    i'm new to this site so hello to eveyone. i bought a case 580k which has 9000 hrs on it. i started doing some much needed maintenance. changed trans/hydraulic cooler in front,replaced all seals on 4 hydraulic cylinders.
    i took out bottom drain plug on torque converter housing and quite a bit of oil came out. i don't think there is supposed to be oil in the housing. do anyone know what might be leaking. it is a phase 3. any help would be appreciated
    thanks in advance

Default Re: 580k torque converter

Welcome to TBN. Is the phase 3 the type were the transmission is separate from the torque converter? Did you check the oil level before that oil came out? Off the top of my head I would think that a seal on the torque converter, it could have been over years and the level just topped off as needed or it could be more of a problem. I assume it runs and drives fine, if so I would keep an eye on the oil level and if you don't mind topping it off and maybe a leak or two it could give you years of trouble. I don't know if you can just replace the seal(s) or not. I think if you have to replace the torque converter it's pretty pricey.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer