JD 970 4x4 problem

/ JD 970 4x4 problem #1  

lbzduramax

Tractor
JD 4710, JD 970
I purchased a JD 970 4x4 a month ago and have come to find out the MFWD is not working. I was in a few situations where I needed to engage the rear diff lock and was spinning the rears and noticed that neither of the fronts were spinning. When I lift up on the MFWD lever, I do feel something engage, but what could be the issue. What should I look at/ how can I determine if it is or isnt working.
I do have a 440 loader on there as well.
Thanks

/ JD 970 4x4 problem #2  
I don't know the answer, but I have the Deere service manual in a PDF file that you're welcome to if you'd like it. Just shoot me your email address

/ JD 970 4x4 problem
Thanks for the manual, however I dont know where to start. Does anyone have some advice for me as I am new to the tractor scene. I was thinking about lifting the front end of the tractor with FEL and rear with a jack and putting it on stands, activating the MFWD and seeing if the fronts spin, then taking it from there.
Any ideas are appreciated as I need some more traction.

/ JD 970 4x4 problem #4  
Thanks for the manual, however I dont know where to start. Does anyone have some advice for me as I am new to the tractor scene. I was thinking about lifting the front end of the tractor with FEL and rear with a jack and putting it on stands, activating the MFWD and seeing if the fronts spin, then taking it from there.
Any ideas are appreciated as I need some more traction.

You have the right idea. The only way to tell what's going on is to jack up all 4 wheels off the ground (allowing them to rotate freely if driven) and see what turns and doesn't turn. If you do this, make sure everything is blocked up safely and no chance of the tractor falling off the blocks/stands.

If you engage the 4x4 mode, obviously the front wheels (as well as the rear wheels) should be driven. IF they don't turn by the engine power, then you need to see if you can determine if the front driveshaft itself is rotating. There may be a shield or some access port you can remove to see the actual shaft. If the front driveshaft is rotating with 4x4 mode engaged, then you have a problem somewhere in the front end. It could be a broken input shaft to the differential, a broken ring and pinion gear set, broken axles, or damaged gearing in the hub assy's.

If the driveshaft is NOT turning, then the problem is somewhere inside the transmission housing, where the power is taken off of the transmission to drive the front driveshaft. That would likely mean splitting the tractor to repair, but maybe not. It would depend on what exactly the problem is.

Sorry you're having trouble with the "new to you" tractor. Seems like the seller would have mentioned this, since it appears it was not working when you bought it. Good luck with it!