Wiring up lights on Ford 2000

/ Wiring up lights on Ford 2000 #1  

Bobby R

Silver Member
Tractor
1972 Ford 2000
I have two questions that I'm sure some of you guys can answer easily. My 1971 Ford 2000 did not have any headlights when I bought it. Also the switch on the dash that I assume worked the headlights is frozen up. This fall when I start to restore my tractor, I want to put in the proper grille that has the openings for the headlights and then new headlights. I also want to install a work light at the back of the tractor. Question #1: Do I need to install a relay with the headlights or just wire them to a new switch. Question #2: Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram on this tractor that you could post on here. My tachometer and hour gauge are not working either, and if I could look at how they are supposed to be wired, I might figure out the problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Wiring up lights on Ford 2000 #2  
If you use relays, you are assured of full brightness in the lights and can run lighter guage wire to the control switch(s) as well as not needing higher amperage rated switches.
Tach and hour meter are internally connected and are cable driven, you've probably got a broken cable. On an old 2000 model i had years ago i found the proper size speedometer cable to replace a broken one.
As far as headlights, i'm not aware of any of the 2000 series having grill mounted headlights, Though i could be wrong i think all of those models had external lights mounted on the side of the hood at the front. At least all the 2000's i've seen. If they did do grill mounted lights, good luck finding the parts, I've been hunting a left side grill mounted light housing for a late 90's 3430 for a couple of years now, ford/new holland lists it as no longer available so i'd guess your era tractor has few cosmetic parts dealer available.

/ Wiring up lights on Ford 2000 #3  
the grille with the headlight holes was only for oversees tractor not the american market. the american 2000's had the headlights bolted to the outsides of the radiator shell and had a solid grille there should be two wholes one in each side of the radiator shell where the lights will bolt

the tachometer and hour meter runs off of a cable that connects to the back of the gen. and runs up to the tach. no wires there the tach. drive gear is most likely stripped in the back of the gen. or the cable is broke how u can test is unscrew the cable from the gen. and turn the cable and see if teh tach moves any

as for the 3430
83959697 is the part number for the HEADLAMP and cost 112 bucks from messicks
and the bezel part number is 83987040 and is 66 bucks from messicks

/ Wiring up lights on Ford 2000
Thanks for the information on headlight relay and the tach/hour meter. As for the headlight mount, I'm like you. I thought all of the 2000 series that year model had external lights mounted on the side of the front crowling. I even looked at several photos on Flickr and other places and most of them showed the lights externally mounted. But my tractor has no holes where any were ever mounted there. It has a home-made grille out of wire mesh, so I don't know what girlle it's supposed to have. I just came to the conclusion that it originally had the grille mounted headlights, unless the crowling has been changed or something. Anyway, I plan to go with the new grille and grille mount lights. I just don't know too much about the relay part of it or what purpose it plays. Thanks again!

/ Wiring up lights on Ford 2000 #5  
Thanks for the information on headlight relay and the tach/hour meter. As for the headlight mount, I'm like you. I thought all of the 2000 series that year model had external lights mounted on the side of the front crowling. I even looked at several photos on Flickr and other places and most of them showed the lights externally mounted. But my tractor has no holes where any were ever mounted there. It has a home-made grille out of wire mesh, so I don't know what girlle it's supposed to have. I just came to the conclusion that it originally had the grille mounted headlights, unless the crowling has been changed or something. Anyway, I plan to go with the new grille and grille mount lights. I just don't know too much about the relay part of it or what purpose it plays. Thanks again!

the grille mount light assembley's will be kind of hard to find but can be done but the light switch should have a inline fuse built on the side of the hot wire that comes from the bat. to the switch the fuse is already made on the wire of the switch

Okay, thanks for all the information. I guess I've either got an overseas tractor or else the radiator casing has been changed. Is there any way to tell where the tractor was made. I have the following numbers that I found.
1F21B, which according to the chart I found is the year model, and production date. (1971, June 21, day shift). The only other number I could find was under the above number and is C305990. Does that tell anyone anything?

/ Wiring up lights on Ford 2000 #7  
relay not needed 14awg wire is fine for those 55w lamps.

tach is driven off the generator.. you still got one?

get power for lamps off the smae tab feeding ignition switch.. use a fused switch.. 2 position is great.. 1 out for headlamps.. all the way out, head and rear... can wire up a red lamp in t he rear with the headlamps.

wire grounds to them.. don't trust rusty sheetmetal.

soundguy

Yeah, the tractor does still have a generator and I can see where the tach and hour meter go into it. From all I can determine about the numbers I've found on the tractor, it was made in USA, but whodat says if the lights are in the grill, it was made overseas. Unless the front crowl has been changed or something, I'm dumbfounded. It does not have any holes where lights used to be mounted on the crowling, nor has it been patch where any might have been.

/ Wiring up lights on Ford 2000 #9  
on the bellhousing there is three rows of numbers and in the bottom row the numbers will start with a, b, or c and since u say it has a c it is a american tractor made in romeo michigan but even though the shell doesn't have the wholes does mean its be changed because even the ones made over sees had the wholes if they had lights some of the 2000 didn't come with head lights so no whole all u have to do is drill a 1/2 in. whole in the shell to put the light

Okay that makes more sense to me, because I'm sure it's USA made and I'm sure it doesn't have any holes where lights were mounted so it must have come from the factory without headlights. Now that makes me wonder why it has a switch on the dash that sure looks like a headlight switch. Oh well, I guess it's no big deal. I'll just put me some lights on it an a new switch and be done with it. Thanks again!!