Another starting problem Ford 2000

/ Another starting problem Ford 2000 #1  

Bobby R

Silver Member
Tractor
1972 Ford 2000
Hey guys, I hate to keep pestering you, but I've got another starting problem with my 1971 Ford 2000. The hot post got loose on the starter which I thought was my problem, so I carried the starter and had it rebuilt. I put it back on and it still won't turn over. I can jump it across the solenoid and it will start. I've checked all my connections again and they're all tight, plus I cleaned them all up before tightening them good (did this on the earlier problem with cranking it). So I'm wondering if the problem is the solenoid switch or maybe the ignition switch or something entirely different. Any suggestions? If I ever get all these little "bugs" worked out, it should be a good old tractor!!

/ Another starting problem Ford 2000 #2  
When the starter was rebuilt was it painted ? It needs a good ground. On my '71 2000 the #2 size wire from the battery (-) neg post is bolted to the tractor with one of the starter mounting bolts. Be sure there is no paint, rust or corrision at these points.

Once you check that let me know what happens and we will talk about the solinoid.

chris

/ Another starting problem Ford 2000
Yeah, the starter was painted and my negative from the battery is grounded to one of the starter bolts as well, but they had cleaned all the bolt hole areas on the starter down to bare metal so it should have a good connection. I made sure there was no paint on it before I re-installed it.

/ Another starting problem Ford 2000
Okay, I got the problem solved. It was a bad connection on the wire coming from the ignition switch, going to the solenoid. The wire had been spliced and wasn't making good contact. It's working like it's supposed to now. I'll try to stop bothering all of you so much with my little penny ante problems. Thanks to all of you for you help in my past posts!