Troy-Bilt horse

/ Troy-Bilt horse #1  

wild bill 63

Tractor
John Deere 214
I have a troy-bilt horse tiller would it be feasible to put a 13hp Honda Motor Honda Uses 1inch shaft can I buy conversion kit and Honda has Low oil shut I would appreciate your help it has a 8hp Briggs-Stratton on it right now I would like to use the Honda if all possible

Last edited:
   / Troy-Bilt horse #3  
The key is the shaft dia.and length. the next would be were/how it sits in relation to the belt speed pulley so that they line up. what about the battery tray ?how much larger is the Honda body?are you replacing the B/S 8hp Eng?. Am asking these questions as am getting ready to replace our eng. as well. Paul

/ Troy-Bilt horse
maybe I go with something like a 10 Tecumseh with a 3/4 shaft or a Briggs with a 3/4 shaft I have done some research the 13 Honda is out of the question my Briggs has a valve rattling problem it has rattled for the last two years maybe it is my old Ford truck maybe rattling what keeps it a going my Brigg is a ohv 8hp I can't seem to get valve clearance right my dealer where I live sucks:laughing:

/ Troy-Bilt horse #5  
I have no idea as what size eng. or make to use to replace my b/s eng it still works but is uses as much oil as gas and is getting hard to start that said am in the dark at this time and was hoping I could learn from you. Where are you located?.

/ Troy-Bilt horse #7  
I would try to use an engine of around the same size, not much bigger, and no smaller. If you use an engine that is alot bigger, like that honda, you might break something. Also, the engine needs to have the the same size shaft, or it will be a huge pain (and alot of machining) to make it work. If I was doing it, I would put in another 8 hp engine.

/ Troy-Bilt horse #8  
Hi"
I consided that staying with the 8hp but I really like Honda products my self although i do have some equipment with B/S newer eng's as well and they run quite well so I was thinking if am going to replace it maybe I should make a change and I got my self confused But I believe your right and I will stick with B/S that will take the pain out of the swap as well I wa just open to any suggestions. Paul

/ Troy-Bilt horse #9  
Hi"
I consided that staying with the 8hp but I really like Honda products my self although i do have some equipment with B/S newer eng's as well and they run quite well so I was thinking if am going to replace it maybe I should make a change and I got my self confused But I believe your right and I will stick with B/S that will take the pain out of the swap as well I wa just open to any suggestions. Paul

you can stll use a honda engine, just use an 8 hp insted of a 13 hp, and make sure it has the same shaft.

/ Troy-Bilt horse
I found a 11 hp Briggs-Stratton commercial engine it has a 3/4 shaft and is designed for the horse tiller I have a lot of clay where I live and it gets hard the motor I found is of the old style Briggs not a OHV model I think it will do the job for me troy uses this motor on the Big Red and think it will do the job for me