want to go over to a 12 volt systen from a 6 volts

/ want to go over to a 12 volt systen from a 6 volts #1  

rcer22

Tractor
Kubota 3430
Hi folks
I would like to change my Ford tractor from the 6 volt electrical system to a 12 volt system.
Can anyone tell me what is involved?
I know I at least need to change the battery and probably add a resistor to the ignition coil.
What else will I need to do?

Any words of advice are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

/ want to go over to a 12 volt systen from a 6 volts #4  
My Ford 8n starter is still working after years of service, just depends on how long it grinds to crank. I did replace one bendix and a set of brushes. Look up "yesterdays tractors" for tips and parts.It was the best single thing I did to mine, next was petrinox igniton module for the dist. I am sure Soundguy will be along in a little while...

/ want to go over to a 12 volt systen from a 6 volts #5  
My Ford 8n starter is still working after years of service, just depends on how long it grinds to crank.

Very interesting, I would not have expected that but I guess for the short time they are operating, it is not worth the cost of a 12V model until it fails. Good advice, thanks!

It was the best single thing I did to mine, next was petrinox igniton module for the dist.

I have used Pertronix Ignitors on MANY older engines and never had a failure, it *can* be a little confusing to get the right one but they are worth EVERY PENNY!

/ want to go over to a 12 volt systen from a 6 volts #6  
Very interesting, I would not have expected that but I guess for the short time they are operating, it is not worth the cost of a 12V model until it fails. Good advice, thanks!

I have used Pertronix Ignitors on MANY older engines and never had a failure, it *can* be a little confusing to get the right one but they are worth EVERY PENNY!

Thank you, I have used borg-warner photo units before too, They are perfect. I was chastized on this site for promoting the pertroix on old Fords?. '"If'" my ole iron carb is right, my old ford will now crank in one revolution...It used to have to have the points or condenser replaced at very regular intervals, a prerequisite to doing about anything with it..I suspected the dist was worn out. The module, new coil and plugs and wires was the price for a rebuilt dist, just a note to those considering a change, whom are not purist..

/ want to go over to a 12 volt systen from a 6 volts #7  
"Back in the day" we converted a bunch of AC WDs and Farmalls to 12 volt. Always used the original starters, never seemed to have any early failures. As noted earlier, starters fail from heat and age, not voltage.

/ want to go over to a 12 volt systen from a 6 volts #8  
It seems I remember that some of these tractors had 8 volt batterys back in the day? Like with 4 caps instead of three..i used an old delco alternator, i believe it is an S-55 if not mistaken. I had to put a real small pulley on the front of it speed it up and make the electronic built-in reg work at lower rpm.

/ want to go over to a 12 volt systen from a 6 volts #9  
I did a jubilee years ago never any starter problems, in fact with the elec module in the dist and a 12 vcoil, it will start much more easily than it ever did. You will also need to change the light bulbs from 6v to 12v. As stated before a one wire altenator is a good idea.

/ want to go over to a 12 volt systen from a 6 volts
I thank you all for your input.
Much appreciated.