Backhoe Joystick Linkage Problems

/ Backhoe Joystick Linkage Problems #1  

mmranch

Gold Member
Tractor
TYM T603
I have a TYM 603 tractor with TYM BT400 backhoe. The backhoe has been great for the 1 1/2 years I've used it. But yesterday, the right dipperstick/bucket control handle snapped off while I was using it. It broke just above where the threads start on the handle and the threads screw the handle into the linkage. This would be easy to replace once I get the new handle.

But then I noticed the condition of the linkage itself. It is super worn, scraped, ground-down, etc. to the point where I think it is not positioned correctly and is not functioning correctly and led to the snapoff of the handle. Also, one of the spool ends where the linkage attaches to the spool is ground down because of the linkage rubbing. (See attached image).

My question is, since this whole mechanism seems to be metal on metal... shouldn't this linkage be greased to minimize grinding and wear?

Attachments

• backhoe_handle_break_0008.jpg
    backhoe_handle_break_0008.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 256
   / Backhoe Joystick Linkage Problems #2  
The greasing of a gimballed control valve traps dirt,
and it will grind into everything.

Washing with a garden hose and hot water is the.
preferred method and spraying some www.fluid-film.com
on it is the better way.

Its time to buy a new valve or two as repairing them
is counter productive because once the gimbals are
leaking its all down hill from there:(:(:eek:

EDIT: with normal spool valves if you have this much wear
you should change them if they are leaking.

If they are not leaking you can change all the control linkages
and should do this anyway if you can afford it.

/ Backhoe Joystick Linkage Problems #3  
A shot of Dri-Lube is your best bet for stuff like this, unless it has a grease fitting. Although grease does attract and hold dirt on the exterior of the joint, regular greasing keeps clean grease in the joint where it does the most good.

Sean

/ Backhoe Joystick Linkage Problems
Thanks very much for the ideas!

The valve is not leaking at this point so that's good. But the linkage on one side is totally worn out and the other side has some wear. I know the snapped handle should be covered under warranty and I'm hoping the linkage is too given the tractor is only 1.5 years old. I'll see what the TYM dealer has to say. In any event, I will definitely be replacing the linkage and lubing with something. The fact that the linkage sits directly above the 2 spools means that as the un-lubed linkage grinds itself... metal shavings are falling down by the spools. If lubing the linkage would reduce grinding (and increase the life of the linkage), seems like this would reduce stuff falling down by the spools.

Thanks again.