Steering ball joint, which one to buy?

/ Steering ball joint, which one to buy? #1  

aaronbartell

Tractor
aaronbartell@gmail.com
Hi all,

I recently purchased a CASE 224 tractor with a snowblower attachment. So far I love it (fun to have something so solid that I can work on).

My son was driving it yesterday and the steering went loose. Turns out the ball joint in the steering came out. I found what I believe to be the replacement part(s), but am unsure which one I should be buying because neither is an exact match.

Here is a pic of the broken steering ball joint: Broken ball joint

Here are my options from www.CaseGardenTractorParts.com
OEM: C44640 Steering Ball Joint- replaces C12102
Aftermarket: SS45-117 Steering Ball Joint- replaces C13605 and C44641
Aftermarket: SS45-114 Steering Ball Joint- replaces C12102 and C44640

The difference between the two aftermarkets is that on is LH and one is RH, though neither look like the pic of my original part.

Thoughts?
AaronBartell.com

/ Steering ball joint, which one to buy? #2  
Hi all,

I recently purchased a CASE 224 tractor with a snowblower attachment. So far I love it (fun to have something so solid that I can work on).

My son was driving it yesterday and the steering went loose. Turns out the ball joint in the steering came out. I found what I believe to be the replacement part(s), but am unsure which one I should be buying because neither is an exact match.

Here is a pic of the broken steering ball joint: Broken ball joint

Here are my options from www.CaseGardenTractorParts.com
OEM: C44640 Steering Ball Joint- replaces C12102
Aftermarket: SS45-117 Steering Ball Joint- replaces C13605 and C44641
Aftermarket: SS45-114 Steering Ball Joint- replaces C12102 and C44640

The difference between the two aftermarkets is that on is LH and one is RH, though neither look like the pic of my original part.

Thoughts?
AaronBartell.com
Either you have given us the wrong model number for your tractror, or the previous owner of the machine used all the parts from an entirely different machine.

Yours can probably be returned to normal by purchasing both ball joint ends and replacing the tie rod, if they were in fact changed.

/ Steering ball joint, which one to buy?
Either you have given us the wrong model number for your tractror, or the previous owner of the machine used all the parts from an entirely different machine.

Yours can probably be returned to normal by purchasing both ball joint ends and replacing the tie rod, if they were in fact changed.

Here are a few more pics:
Entire tractor with model on hood:

https://plus.google.com/photos/117361942464659714212/albums/posts/5644851886838481234

Model/Serial plate pic:
https://plus.google.com/photos/117361942464659714212/albums/posts/5644851888253718210

The previous owner was the first owner and he was a mechanic by trade, so it is entirely possible that he couldn't find original parts and substituted.

Let me run this idea past you: The broken/existing ball joint has male threads on either end and the new/aftermarket joint has male on one and female on the other. Couldn't I just find a bolt that doesn't have a "head" and is instead threaded on both ends (I am sure there is a name for such a thing) and stick it in the female end of the new one half way and then use a nut to tighten it? Seems like that would produce the same result as the broken one - it just wouldn't be welded in.

Thoughts?
AaronBartell.com

/ Steering ball joint, which one to buy? #4  
You could, but if it were me, I would just replace all three pieces to make it right again.

Go to the website you linked to, type in Case 224 ball joint in the search box. The tie rods are listed 3 total, only 2 for your model, measure your distance and order the 3 parts.

EDIT: or call the previous owner to see what he changed. There is the possibilty that he changed the entire front end........in that case the Case 224 parts won't work at all.

/ Steering ball joint, which one to buy? #5  
G'day do you have a local bearing or engineering supplies?? By the look of your pic it is what i would call a rose joint and any good brg/eng supplier should have one on the shelf

Jon