Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    jd 1070

Default Re: Cost of John Deere parts

Plenty of JD/Kawasaki starters on eBay for under $100. What's the problem?
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Tractor
    Where do I begin.....

With a variety of colors in my shed, I get to buy from Deere, NH, AGCO, and a few others. Deere isn't the highest across the board. SOME parts are high relative to other brands. Some not so much. NH is generally the HIGHEST on average for the parts I seem to need most often. And Deere is FAR better about parts availability and delivery time. No contest there. In that realm, in my area, I've completely given up on IH/CASE IH/CNH/FIAT/YOUR NAME HERE brand parts....Probably the fault of the 2 nearest dealers I have to work with, but parts availability is horrendous AND slow + expensive to boot.
    There are three kinds of men;
    1.) The ones that learn by reading
    2.) The few who learn by observation
    3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23

When I bought my BX23 almost a year ago I was also looking at the next size up NH. The NH did not come with the 3 pt hitch. I priced it from the nearest NH dealer about 30 miles from here and they wanted almost $2000 for the parts. I could have gotten all the parts from TSC 5 miles from here for around $500. I figured the $2000 price was just the first of the rip offs I would have to endure if I went the NH route so I bought the BX 23 and so far have been very satisfied. I am so used to buying on line that I look there first when I need something, (manuals, filters, heater, etc). I have been pleasantly surprised that the kubota dealer, 15 miles away has been competitive in every case. They have plenty of knowledgeable counter people so you don't have to spend your precious time waiting to get waited on. It is one place that the term stealer doesn't apply. They are also a JD dealer but I don't have any track record with them on the JD side of the business.
    ametcalf
    All I need to be a better mechanic is a bigger hammer.
    2004 BX23, 72" Landpride finish mower, 48" Howse tiller, Home made brush forks, grapple, and plywood skidplate.
    Allis Chalmers 5040, 6 Bushhog, Boom pole, PHD, Box Grader, Rear Blade, 2 bottom plow
    2000 Crewcab Super Duty F250 Powerstroke Diesel 260k miles

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

Whenever I go into JD dealer feel like I'm getting taken. During my search for a new machine I stopped in one of the two local Deere dealers and got major sticker shock. On the way out I spied a can of JD card and choke cleaner. Of course the price isn't marked on anything. Asked the parts guy how much it was $17.95. $17.95 for a $3.00 can of spray. Rip off!!!!
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Tractor
    Case ih 254

I think the parts and repair side of dealerships has become a larger profit center. With lots of competition, profit margins on the actual machine, car, tractor, etc, have been cut. The dealerships seem to be making that up on the parts side of the business.
    In the car business parts have risen dramatically in the last few years. Chrysler is one that comes to mind. Parts that used to be 20 to 30 dollars, now cost 60 to 70.
    With the ability to shop a price on the Internet. Consumers can generally know what dealer cost is on a machine, then negotiate accordingly. Also, the economy has driven some dealers to go ahead and cut prices in hopes to survive.
    Tough times.

Chuck

Tractor
    Kubota L3200 Deere X380 Kubota RTV-X

I agree JD parts can be pricey, but in all fairness, I haven't yet bought parts for other brands to see how they compare. I assume it's a matter of supply and demand, and JD knows they have a good parts network and they can charge a premium. I have always gotten fast and fair service on JD parts, so I don't have a major complaint there.

To me the real problem is accessories and implements. My local JD/Stihl dealer marks up any side product, part, or accessory that a customer may find useful to go with their tractor or saw, and it's almost foolish to buy stuff there.

They got me the first couple times until I started checking prices. For instance, I needed a cant hook (aka "Peavey") to help handle some logs. They wanted $125, which seemed high to me. Turns out the same exact product was $65 from a logger supply company in Maine, and $12 for shipping. And $65 was the proper MSRP on the cant hook, straight from Peavey Manufacturing (where the device originally got its name back in the 1800s). So the local dealer was obviously marking the tool *way* up.

Then when I was shopping for tractors recently, they were super high on implement pricing, wanting over $800 for a Frontier Box Blade that wasn't that well built to begin with. I ended up getting a Howse that was significantly better made, for $475. I could go on and on with more implement examples. I think they expect many of their customers to be rubes who don't shop around.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 3005

You need to factor in the durability. If you buy a water pump for $300 and it lasts 15 years that's better than paying $60 dollars and it lasts 3 years. Honda is a good example I can buy a napa water pump for a civic for $38 but the Honda one is $119 but the Honda one will last 4-5 times longer. What's cheaper.
    2011 John deere 3005, already waxed 5 times.

I drives me boat ! My wife drives me dingy !

Tractor
    massey ferguson 471

Try A & I product.com for aftermarket parts at reasonable prices.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915 & 5200

Addendum to my earlier post...

Have a 16 year old Scott's mower. A plastic idler pulley wore out. There is no local source for Scott's mowers. (Mine is the MTD sourced model from when they were first marketed) Getting a replacement was H*ll I finally found a close fit after several tries. Meanwhile the machine was stuck in the shed instead of working. I'll put up with expensive Deere parts for the sake of getting machine up time.

Cheap, fast or good. I'll add "available" to the good bracket. Pick any two

Elite Member
    Parts Supplier

Quote Originally Posted by massey 471 View Post
    Try A & I product.com for aftermarket parts at reasonable prices.
    ...interesting fact. Deere owns a controlling interest in A&I. I'm not sure how thats impacted the pricing in parts for Deeres own equipment. A&I is the source of the parts for their "all brands" stores.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast