case international 885xl gearbox

/ case international 885xl gearbox #1  

lentbm

Tractor
case international 885xl
I have an 885 xl that was jammed in reverse gear, we towed it in neutral but after a few miles the back wheels locked up, made a horrible noise and it is now jammed in first gear, having managed to release it fom reverse. I now have high, low and reverse all in first gear. The problem seems to be internal not external, some previous owner has cut a plate in the cab floor so I have access to the top of the gearbox. Any ideas?? should I take the top off the gearbox?? anywhere I can get diagrams or a copy of a workshop manual??
Thanks

/ case international 885xl gearbox #2  
You probably did more damage towing it than it had to begin with. CaseIH parts diagrams are available free online and repair manuals can be purchased from a variety of sources, probably some in the UK. Google, or your favorite search engine will provide the info you are looking for. is your friend.

/ case international 885xl gearbox #3  
I remember doing something like this many years ago on a truck! We live in a hilly area and I had put the truck in neutral and started coasting down the grade. After about two miles and in the worst part of the grade the rear end of the truck just locked up and the rpm of the engine started screaming! I dumped the clutch and the rpm went down and the rear end stopped skidding.

Trying to let the clutch out again gave me the same! I found the tranmission was in third gear, Locked in, shifter still in neutral! The top shaft of the transmission was turning and dry becuase the lower input shaft that drives it from the engine wasn't splashing oil up to lubricate it!!!!!

Kind of an expensive coast!!!! I'd tried it with my car before and could coast about 4 miles right to the stop light, just thought I could do it with the truck!

I didn't do it with my car any more either although it would have been cheaper on the car to fix then the truck!!!!

/ case international 885xl gearbox
Many thanks for your replies, often a problem is better shared. I already guessed there would be no easy fix and I will have to take the gearbox apart. Will keep you guys updated