hydraulic line leak

/ hydraulic line leak #1  

maryanne

I,m a newbie when it comes to working on tractors and I don,t know where
to start on this leak ? I have a BX24 with backhoe and found a drip on the backhoe line at the bottom center. Looks like a chip in the line, it,s not squirting but just dripping. One end is easy to get to but then it goes up into the backhoe arm. I,m lost on how or where to start ?

/ hydraulic line leak
thank you JJ , but it,s a black flex line, can you put a union on a flex line ?Also as long as I have the engine off and backhoe laying flat on ground and
outriggers flat on ground, is it then safe to disconnect without worrying about pressure ?

/ hydraulic line leak #4  
Wiggle all your control handles first just to be safe. This will remove the pressure if any is remaining.

/ hydraulic line leak #5  
Is it a hose of line. There is probably a coupling for the flex line. Remove the line and take to a hyd shop and see if they have a fix.

If it has QD 's on it, the heat can still cause pressure build up, Put a rag on the QD , and push on the ball on the male, or use a dowel and push on the ball in the female QD.

If it is dripping now, after a while, the pressure will be relieved by the drip.

/ hydraulic line leak #6  
I,m a newbie when it comes to working on tractors and I don,t know where
to start on this leak ? I have a BX24 with backhoe and found a drip on the backhoe line at the bottom center. Looks like a chip in the line, it,s not squirting but just dripping. One end is easy to get to but then it goes up into the backhoe arm. I,m lost on how or where to start ?

When you take the end off that is easy to get to, tie a string onto it. Find the other end of the line and disconnect it and pull the line out and leave the string where the line was. Disconnect the string and leave it. Go get the line fixed. Tie the new line onto the string and pull it back in place. Use a good sized string, maybe 3/16" or 1/4" so you can pull if you need to. We have a Bell Feller Buncher that has lines run all through the square tubing frame and the string method is the only way to go.

/ hydraulic line leak
well thank you both for the info. I feel alot better about fixing it now, we do
about everything else on the tractor. The hydraulics is something new to
learn. I,ve been reading some old posts on hydraulics and it seems I'm not
alone. I'm really glad I found this web site and thanks again.
I,ll post the result soon, I hope soon !!