Chassis Saver Paint

/ Chassis Saver Paint #1  

Mark_in_NH

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL
I am not sure which catagory this actually falls under, so I will put it here.
I just watched a television show that advertised this
product.
Magnet Paints, Chassis Saver Paint
They said that you can paint it directly over rust, it seals the surface from air and moisture therfore stopping the rusting process. It remains flexible, and is quote, unquote
" not affected by salt, gasoline, diesel fuel, oils, battery acids, hydraulic fluids, solvents, chemicals, or corrosives"
This might make a great under coating or primer for all of those repairs and projects, self made implements and attachments etc.

/ Chassis Saver Paint #2  
I am not familiar with that brand but I have used POR-15. You can visit their site on the web. I used it to paint the chassis of a 72 Chevelle, it is well known in the car restoration hobbyand really works. POR=Paint Over Rust. It is also about $20 a QUART. If MAgnet paint is the same it could be a worthwhile alternative.

/ Chassis Saver Paint #3  
Mark,

You must have been reading my mind this week. My poor NH 33D has been sitting out in the weather for the past year and a half and I have noticed recently that rust spots are starting to pop up on the axles, 3ph and loader frame. I have been trying to figure out what approach to take to restore my tractor to it's new look again. It only has 151 hours on it and it hurts me to see it rusting up already. I had figured I would use some sand paper and primer, then touch up with the appropriate color paint afterward. I wonder if this stuff really works? Sounds like it might just be the ticket for my little rusting problem. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Chassis Saver Paint #4  
I had a rust spot right in the middle of the trunk of my 83 LTD Crown Victoria when it was three years old. I put some stuff on it just like what you are talking about. The rust spot was about the size of a quarter and when I finally got around to doing something about it it had grown to the size of a 50 cent piece. The spot remained black but the spot never grew anymore.

murph

/ Chassis Saver Paint #5  
Ditto. I've used POR-15 on my car and both old (57) Dodge trucks. The stuff is bombproof...like powder coat in a can!

Pete

/ Chassis Saver Paint #6  
According to their web site Chassis Saver costs $67.75 per gallon and $23.75 per quart. It seems like it is only available in black and silver-aluminum colors /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif but maybe they have not priced the colors. Minimum 1 gallon.

I have been using a 2 step process for rustproofing. First I spray it with Permatex Extend rust treatment, $7 a pint spray can at Pep Boys. It sprays on clear then turns black. Then I spray on the actual paint color using regular pain. A little Extend goes a long way.

The all in one paint would be a great convenience though, if the color matches the factory paint. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Chassis Saver Paint #7  
I have used POR-15 on my muscle car restorations, as well as, my tractor equipment. I used it on the backhoe I made and none of the paint has come off the bucket yet! I've got probably 50 hrs on the backhoe digging in very rocky/gritty soil. You would be hard pressed to find something better.

/ Chassis Saver Paint
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It seems like it is only available in black and silver-aluminum colors but maybe they have not priced the colors. )</font>

There website explains that this paint needs to have a finish coat put over it for any areas that will be exposed to sunlight. So it does not surprise me that it is only available in black and silver. If the POR-15 product holds up better in sunlight then it may be the better product.

/ Chassis Saver Paint #9  
Where do you all get the POR-15 paint?
Mark

/ Chassis Saver Paint #10  
get hold of a Hemmings motor news or might be able to get at Hemiings car .com.. in Hemmings there are 100 ads each month for where to buy POR15. I beleive it is still being made in Morristown New Jersey

great stuff